New Action What Barrel???

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by bjlooper, Feb 14, 2006.

1. bjlooper

bjlooper Well-Known Member

Hi
    I just ordered one of Jim Bordens new actions. The bolt face will be for the WSMs. I think I'm going to chamber for the 300WSM I would like to shoot 165gr - 200gr bullets. What twist and which barrel maker do you recomend.
    Thanks

2. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I have heard lilja is good and I have some friends that swear by Hart. Krieger is also good I hear.

3. bailey1474

bailey1474 <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

You won't go wrong w/Lilja, Hart, Pac-Nor, Kreiger, Rock, Broughton, etc, etc, etc. I don't have as much experience w/them as others, but I think it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

4. Crane

Crane Well-Known Member

Just got off of the phone with Jim Borden and ordered myself one ....I'm excited!

5. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

Broughton 5c rifling, 1-11 twist

BH

6. Ballistic64

Ballistic64 Well-Known Member

I also just caught Jim as he got home today and got his last Alpine of his first production run (whew! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif).The Alpine is getting a 6mm Lilja 3 groove 12" twist that Lilja now stocks, (on its way already),for a 6mm AI.And the Timberline will get a Broughton 5C 10" for a 338-300.
    I'd agree with BH for choice on your gun with those bullet weights.

7. Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Broughton 5c rifling, 1-11 twist

BH

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 Am waiting on one from Tim right now for my competition rifle. 338 Lapua AI with the 5C for the windy days---can hardly wait! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. BountyHunter

Boss

to make that 338 shoot you are really going to have to sort the bullets by ogive and would recommend metplat trimming. that is about the only ways to make the 338 really competitive.

BH

9. Guest

Guest Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    would recommend metplat trimming . BH

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the TUBBS meplat trimmer, but I noticed Sinclair now has a new system (and there are a few others). Any recommendations?

Giraud makes the best tools I've found, I think I'll order his meplat trimmer. I have his power trimmer and 50 BMG ogive/OAL measurement gauge.

BTW, I vote for Lilja on barrels.

10. Boss Hoss

Yeah---discussed that with several people at the SHOT Show and will be getting one of Daves meplat tools and we will see if the vertical is an issue. I have spent hours discussing this subject and it may be a challenge to say the least. I am going to burn a lot of H1000!!

11. ILIKA308

ILIKA308 Active Member

KRIEGER OR BROUGHTON 5C OR LILJA IS AS GOOD AS IT CAN GET

12. BountyHunter

Dave tooleys tool is good, but so is Kevin Crams at Montour Rifles. Kevins is all SS and I really like it.

I have found that John Buhuys ogive checker from RW Hart($125) on page 19 of their catalog (is the slickest and fastest around. It is also consistent. tried the hand thing with the calipers but was too inconsistent.

BH

13. Boss Hoss

OK----Which one----time and effort is a concern but the final product is what is important! Thanks!

This will put you on the spot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. BountyHunter

to answer all questions

Broughton barrel

Buhay ogive checker

Montour rifles metplat trimmer. Have not worked with the sinclair but it looks good.

BH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif