What 300 win mag bullet for Elk

encoreguy

Well my gun arrived today, that was a relief as I am running out of time to prep for this Fall's elk hunt in Colorado. Anyway, I was able to find some H1000 powder, CCI LR Mag primers, I am waiting on some brass but I need advise on what bullets to try in my reloads for Elk? This will be fairly open country so shots could be long. This is my first time reloading for the 300 WM, but not new to reloading, so I wanted your opinions on some good bullets to start my search for the perfect hunting load for my gun? Any advise?

I think it's technical classification is " will blow your elk out of his hooves" :D Seriously, the 215 is Target but it's one of the best proven elk bullets out there period!!
I like bullets over 200 grains for 30 cal on elk, so my top three are the 215 Berger, 230 Berger and the 200 Accucond.

Is the hybrid classified as a hunting or target bullet?

It is just as I stated the 215 Hybrid target. But we were hunting when we killed all those elk including a very nice bull I took just over 600 yards. :)

From the 22 big game animals I have gutted after shot with only one of them I do not classify them as hunting or Target bullets. I classify them as "Premium killing bullets"

Jeff

When I was working up loads for my 300 I loaded some of the 215's and in order for them to fit my mag well they were seated so deep they looked terrible. The ogive was about 1/8" from the brass.

And, when it comes to these 2 popular bullets unless you have them on hand or your buddy has some they are not going to be easy to come by. At least that has been my experience.

But either of these bullets 180gr+ and you should be good to go.

I have shot several elk from 200-400 yards with the 200 accubond in 300RUM and 300 win never did I have complete penetration. Two bull elk last year one mine and one an acquaintance had excellent penetration with 215 berger from a 300 win. I shot a cow elk last year with a 200 accubond and only had a high shoulder shot and the elk died instantly but I was like before less then impressed with terminal performance!
I can say I drank the cool-aid on the 215 berger bullets originally, and jumped on the band wagon but the **** things really are amazing!

Attachments

• a9cc6155-f27f-4013-830a-373fa278ce92_zps44fa0f82[1].jpg
    a9cc6155-f27f-4013-830a-373fa278ce92_zps44fa0f82[1].jpg
    15 KB · Views: 59
No experience with Berger, but the 200AB has performed well on all game I've shot with it. The only one I had not exit was a 200 yard shot that penetrated >3 feet of deer front-on before stopping. 300WM, 2950 fps.

I shoot the accubond's thru all my rifles...90 gr in 6mm flat wrecks deer and loper's....160's outta my stw and 180's outta my 300 roy is elk and moose worst nightmare.

I've had great succes with the accubond.won't be changing anytime soon.:D

I would stick with bergers or barnsX
I have not had good luck with the accubonds. The pencil threw for some reason they don't oppen up every animal I've tryed to harvest with them has taken multiple shots to bring down. With a Verry small exit wound and littel internal damage. ??? But I hear other people rave about them. (They do group good)
I hear the new accubond LR is better but I've yet to see them on a shelf or any where online.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.