What 300WM bullet for elk?

Can compressing a load genereate pressure spikes?

I won't call it a spike , but yes in my experience full cases or cases filled closer to full, as well as a compressed load can show higher pressure. This has been very evident when loading for the same rifle (300 win case) we can run 77 gr in a WW or RP brass but with the same powder lot and same bullet lot in RWS brass we max out at 74. In one instance we tried going up to the same 77 gr load and it showed over pressure and even leaking primers.

I have also seen it work this way when sinking the bullet into a close to full case. It was ok at .040" off the lands with a max load. But sinking the bullet showed more pressure and a velocity increase. So it is worth considering when close to max on a load a change closer or farther off the lands could create more pressure.

So I just don't count on moving away from the lands will reduce pressure all the time.

Jeff

Thanx again guys. All of your opinions, advice, and instructions are much appreciated. It definitely helps a lot. I mentioned my reloading mentor in a earlier post that has taught me so much: unfortunately he passed away last year. Now I have no one else near by to help me with questions/issues. This site and all you members are awesome! I really do appreciate all of you taking your time to help all of us who are continually learning.

I have a bomber of an elk tag in my pocket this year and I think that for up to 400-450 yards I will be using the 200 partition out of my 300 win. Past that, there is a strong chance it will be the 215 hybrid but may be the 210 ALR.

With the caliber of tag and bulls I'll be looking at, up close I'm not going to gamble. It's hard to argue with the partition on heavy game up close.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.