weaver tactical in low light

big mike 2121

Hey guys,

anybody know how these scopes are at low light? going to purchase a 4-20X50mm with the edmr reticle.

I have the old old extinct Tactical model. It is great under all conditions especially low light. @ 4.5 she's good to go when its well after end of shooting time light.

Mine is a 44 mm objective. The weaver rep, as I would expect, ensured me the new tactical was a much much better scope than the old one.

FWIW

but what about seeing the FFP edmr reticle in low light? I think they make an illuminated retcle model as well?

but what about seeing the FFP edmr reticle in low light? I think they make an illuminated retcle model as well?

Not a prob........ I watched deer through it when on 14x couldn't be seen yet on 4.5x I felt I could make the 800 yard shot with confidence. The mil dot reticle was good for bracketing the deer leaving me with a good feeling that I could make the shot if needed.

I had many opportunities over a 30 day hunt to do this. But alas the deer were bald in a bucks only area. I was temped to shoot a rock at that light and distance but alas again as it was elk season also and I didn't want to disturb the peace and quiet of the neighborhood. :rolleyes:

For my eyes I can't say anything against the scope.

I was searching for another scope brand when I bought this one. Kirby Allen had been using one and had great comments. I called SWFA for the model I was after. They had none. I got to chewing the fat with the fella and learned that they had a used weaver tactical. The price seemed reasonable (heard their retail was 750 or so), I ponied up and have never looked back.

I did the hold over w/the Mil Dots and did pretty well. After a couple of years I got to trusting the clicks and have since switched to clicking. This scope has 1/8 Minute clicks which are a ton of clicks but they are accurate/repeatable clicks.

I rigged up a drop chart where I use the Mil Dots up to 800 yards then click beyond that.

It's on a DIY Rem 700 338 RUM and is spot on to a tested 1177 yards.

The only thing that would make it better would be to be MOA/MOA instead of Mils/MOA.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.