weaver tactical

jdg33

I'm just getting started in the long range thing. I have been reloading for 19 years and have at least 15 high power rifles, mostly 700's, but have never owned a tactical style scope. I have 6 weaver grand slams and I have been very happy with them considering the cost. Anyways, I want to start practicing beyond 500 yards and would like to try a mildot style scope with a first plane reticle. Since I'm already a weaver believer I thought I would try a 4.5-14 tactical. I found some new ones on a clearence for $349, is this a good price? It will go on either my 6mm 700 VLS, my 7mm ultra 700 LSS, my 300 WSM A-bolt, or a 300 win Sendero, haven't decided yet.

Thanks,
Burleyboy

If it goes on the 6mm it will be paper/varmints. If it goes on one of the bigger rifles it will be varmints/deer/antelope/elk. I have a load in the 7 ultra that is 91.5 grains of RL25, Fed 215, 160 N accubond, it's 3325fps MV and the few groups I've shot so far have been less that 1" at 100 yards. I'm thinking this might be a good long range big game load. The gun currently wears a weaver grand slam 4.5-14 but I'm thinking a mil dot would be nice for making long range shots without dialing.

My 300 WSM wears the same model scope and shoots 180 SST's at 2920fps with 1/2" 100 yard groups. Might also be a good long range big game option.

Thanks,
Bb

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking a mil dot would be nice for making long range shots without dialing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come monday morning you are going to get a number of answers to your question. I would suggest that you don't buy a mil dot scope to have it play the role of a long range bullet drop compensator. When you are shooting between around 500 and 600 yards your hold changes .1 mil per 10 yards. It gets finer (and harder to use) the farther out you go.(all of this depends on cartridge and conditions and so on. This is approximate.)

The better thing to do with the mil dot system is use it as It was designed and that is as a way to field estimate ranges. Then use your turrets as they were designed and start cranking knobs for bullet drop adjustment.

If you are going to get the best benefit from a mil dot reticle as a BDC consider it for shorter ranges and as a windage compensator in lighter wind at closer ranges.

Also try pluging your bullet data into a balistic program that will give you your drops in mils. Several program links can be found in the top topic in "Bullets barrels and ballistics". You will see that you drop below 5 mils at around X yards (depending on everything you enter)when zeroed at 100 yards. This might help you decide which gun to put it on. You might get 400 yards without adjusting the turrets on your 6mm but 700 on your 7mm. Just a few thoughts to consider.

Oh BTW I like your choice of magnification range. Low enough for running coyotes being called in and high range not likely to give you a fit with mirage while looking at those 1000 yard critters.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.