Viper pst in low light

duckaholic25

I am looking at getting a pst ffp 6-24 but I have not seen many comments on its ability to pick up light in the late evening.

At 6x (approximately matching my binoculars) I have been very satisfied with the low light qualities of my PST scopes. If I see something, I can then increase magnification if the light allows.

Edit, I am usually shooting right at first light as the sky brightens and before the sun comes over the horizon.

Better go take a look at the reticle through one of the PST FFP's first on low power settings. Below 10X they get very hard to see. The SFP model is much different.

Jeff

I can tell the OP that at 6x the reticle looks like a plex reticle with 4 "wide" bars coming close to the center of vision and a very thin central reticle. If you zoom up to 10x, then of course much of the field of view will be of the graduated reticle and at 24x all you can see is a cropped view of the graduated reticle.

But practically, the limit is really somewhere around 20x given how small the exit pupil becomes. Vortex would have been better off with a 5-20x like a lot of the other brand names.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.