weatherby suggestion

30-378 Wby or 340 Wby are some real mule kickers. never shot either so just an opinion really.

338 Lapua pretty sweet as well as defensive edge

50 BMG.....It will kill anything on the planet, and you will NEVER be looking for something with"more punch" again. Kind of the ultimate LR setup.

Good luck with that!!!:D:D:D

Last edited:
I have a weatherby vanguard in 300weatherby looking to "upgrade" it. Something with more punch. Any suggestions?

More punch for what? There's not much that the 300 won't handle within driving distance of Trenton?

If the motivation is to just have more punch and be long range accurate, I'd suggest a whole different rifle based on a different action. I'd recommend the 338 Edge but it won't kill anything any farther than a 300 Wby that is equally as accurate, and accuracy is the secret.

Just my tho'ts.

I agree with all that has already been said. What more punch does one need and it is more about shot placement not the caliber. The 300 Weatherby is capable of taking any game in North America and most African game. Mind you this is coming from someone who has a 300 weatherby and a 338 Lapua on the way. But truth of the matter is that the Lapua really isn't for hunting. I just wanted it to try shooting at 2000 plus yards. The weatherby is my go to field rig.

I have a good mixture of different calibers including a 338 edge and can tell you that the 300 wheatherby with a 180 grain pill is my killer. Red mist everytime.

RH300 if I looking for more than a 300 WBY I would step up to a 338 caliber. Going to the 300 RUM is a minimal gain and the 30-378 is a barrel toaster. The 338 RUM or edge will get you some separation from the 300 WBY with reasonable barrel life and the recent crop of 338 bullets are very good for long range shooting.

More punch for what? There's not much that the 300 won't handle within driving distance of Trenton?

If the motivation is to just have more punch and be long range accurate, I'd suggest a whole different rifle based on a different action. I'd recommend the 338 Edge but it won't kill anything any farther than a 300 Wby that is equally as accurate, and accuracy is the secret.

Just my tho'ts.
Point taken.I agree with some of what you say.Here are my two cents.If there is something better why not try it?I have a 300 RUM now. I am "talking with Kirby Allen about building a 300Allen Magnum. Why not have more than one 1000k set up? Do I or anybody have to limit the quanity of "tools" that are at our disposal?
I am also looking for a carry rifle to hunt with in Alaska. I went there this spring to hunt black bear. I took the 300ultra using swift scirocco's in 180 grains pushing 3335 fps. I found out the hard way that I was UNDERGUNNED.
I am on the neverending quest of finding the "ONE".

I was thinking of the 338 range of choices.

JUST MY THOUGHTS

Last edited:
A 300 yard broadside shot buried in the front left shoulder from a dead rest prone position. The bear turned and ran into the brush never to be found , even after a 4 hour search by 4 people. BAD and SCARY trying to search for a wounded bear in the THICK forestes of south east Alaska. It was one of the worst feelings I have ever had. I have never felt like that before and I don't want to experince it again.Next time I want as much gun as I can carry and fly with on the airlines. I want the gun that stops bears,black and brown moose and what ever in it's tracks. DEAD RIGHT THERE!!!!!!!!!

The 300Rum was more than up to the task. The problem was with your bullet choice. The Scrirocco is known to expand very large and only pentrate very shallow when driven hard. An 200 grain Accubond or Partition most likely would have exited giving you a little better chance.

I shot an elk this year with a 200 grain Accubond out of my 300Wby at 479 yards and the butcher asked me if I shot it with a bazooka! It shot clear through and left a very good short blood trail. It looked like someone was trying to sneek off with 5 gallons of blood in a salmon net. I had horsepower to spare. A 300Rum has even more.

RH300UM,

Well duh! If you've been talking to Kirby AND would like to have more than one 1K gun that's a whole 'nother story.

If you keep talkin' to Kirby you'll have a 1K plus rifle and at least a 2K+ rifle.;)

Go with the 338 AM and as long of a barrel as you can stand the weight.

Then I'd select a better bullet for the 300 RUM.

For example look here: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f88/few-things-impress-me-does-31021/

I have a .340 weatherby and I just love it. It doesn't seem to kick as hard as the .300 weatherby, but I haven't tested that, just subjective feel. I thunped an elk at 357 yards this year and the one shot did the job nicely. I intend to use it on brown bear, I think it'll be perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts