280AI Suggestion

Blacktail

I picked up a 280AI 26" benchmark carbon wrapped barrel 1:8.5 twist. The previous owner indicated was shooting 168 bergers to 3030 at .5" Unfortuantley need to find a lead free bullet as leave in good ol communist CA. Was thinking about a 150 maybe cutting edge. Curious if anyone had any suggestions was thinking this bullet for CA and then maybe 140 or 150 ELDS for out of state. It will be my do all rifle from Deer, Antelop to Elk. Thanks for the help. I have plenty of H4831sc and H1000 on hand and have both 215 and 215m primers ready to roll.

Our 155g Hammer Hunter is designed for 8.5" twist and would give full stability for hunting.

I am thinking about building almost an identical rifle for myself. Looking to go with a Proof barrel and carbon fiber stock. I have not decided for sure on the bullet. I was thinking I would run our 143g Hammer Hunter. Would give me everything I need out to 700y. The 155 would extend that range but not quite have as good of point blank range.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Steve

I think the 280 AI gives the most bang for the buck in a standard long range action. Ease of loading and big game abilities. I have never been a 7mm fan, but as research what to build on this action I think I have settled on the 280AI

Steve

I think the 280 AI gives the most bang for the buck in a standard long range action. Ease of loading and big game abilities. I have never been a 7mm fan, but as research what to build on this action I think I have settled on the 280AI

Steve

Thanks a bunch for the info I stumbled on this rifle it's as u described. Mcmillan hunter edge filled stock 700 action. I'm shipping to Karl for a little love and coating. What velocity would u expect out of the 143 and 155? Would u maybe suggest 143 for deer and antelopenand 155 for Elk of 155 for everything thnx don't have a ton to exp with mono Bullets and would u suggest 4831 or H1000?

Thanks a bunch for the info I stumbled on this rifle it's as u described. Mcmillan hunter edge filled stock 700 action. I'm shipping to Karl for a little love and coating. What velocity would u expect out of the 143 and 155? Would u maybe suggest 143 for deer and antelopenand 155 for Elk of 155 for everything thnx don't have a ton to exp with mono Bullets and would u suggest 4831 or H1000?
The one 280ai that we loaded was with the 143g. I'll have to go look in the journal when I get a chance.

I think either bullet would work just fine for all of the above.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.