We Temporarily Interrupt This Forum

Not sure if loading 148 gr hollow base wadcutters backwards in 38 Specials qualifies in this category but, have found, they will stop a raccoon from stealing the dogs food pretty quick.

Many years ago, knowledgable detectives used them in their "Chiefs" as a better "man stopper". They were much better than the conventional 158 grain RN…..replaced by Super Vels created by Lee Jurras! Though personally…..I never liked the 110's that many raved about! I guess I've always been a heavy bullet guy! 😉 memtb

Last edited:
Isn't that what some people love to do with everything? Buy a car, change suspension, supercarge it, etc. Buy a truck, same thing and lift. Buy a rifle, customize it. Why are bullet's off limits to this?
Just saying....
Not off limits…..just questioning the rational!

I've been around long enough to witness many auto modifications that were ultimate failures! No harm…..except to the wallet! 😉 memtb

Not off limits…..just questioning the rational!

I've been around long enough to witness many auto modifications that were ultimate failures! No harm…..except to the wallet! 😉 memtb
Edison had over 1.000 failures before the first succesful light bulb. In failures, we learn what doesn't work, and as long as we are doing it safely, can't see a "failure", I see a lesson

Seems like most folks on this forum don't accept "good enough". I don't have a problem with that. We modify loads to infinity, even though factory loads are available. So, trimming, annealing, modifying bullets seems pretty consistent.
Hammer bullets effectively proves the "big guys" were missing something.
Given that many people don't manufacture their own bullets, modifying them is the only practical answer.

While I like Hammer bullets and believe them to be a very good bullet, some of the "other guys" weren't wrong….just different opinion of bullet expectations! I still have issues with the intentional separation of tip petals…..they work very well on smaller big game. And obviously work quite well on larger big game…..though I have some concerns about penetration on large big game if a raking shot, or very heavy bone is encountered! memtb

Maybe shortages could be a bit of the culprit, lord knows it's been a while since some of my favorites have been mia long enough one gets to podering.

Truth be told it's probably the slight penchant for our hobby to think we know better.... little bit of curiosity combined with a little pride and you get most of the wildcat cross section we have today. Probably no different than drilling out a target bullet to get them to expand on game.

Could also be a byproduct of the online paradox, I've got a relative who's read how great and wonderful bullet "x" is online... but in practice it's sub optimal at best. Not one to settle for less or be left behind he started tweaking with bullet "x" trying to get it to perform like on the internet. Introduced to bullet "y" and blew his mind and saved him time.

Edison had over 1.000 failures before the first succesful light bulb. In failures, we learn what doesn't work, and as long as we are doing it safely, can't see a "failure", I see a lesson

The test animals may have a different view point! 😉😂!

Perhaps Edison had a disclaimer .….no light bulbs were injured in development! 😂 memtb

We already do so many processes on Brass prep that I just want to get that long sleek shinny bullet seated.

I don't know how long Bullet "Pointing" or the "Nose Ring" for bullets have been around , but if I had more time and the money to buy these tools, I would like to try it. 🤔
Wish the Harbor Freight, made that David Tubb bullet fixR thing for like $29 bucks.

for what I perceive as a logical question!

This will offend a few……sorry! But, it's a genuine question

I read with interest, actually incredulity….of hunters modifying factory production bullets for better "on game" performance! 🤒 WTH!

With the, literally dozens of bullets specifically designed for use on game……Why? Why do we think that we can and should attempt to transform a bullet "clearly" designed for other uses …..into a superior hunting bullet!

Is it to actually "improve" the bullets "on game" performance or to fulfill the want/need to experiment! If for an experiment…..I respectfully suggest that the companies having "deeper pockets" than the majority of us, have access to better bullet testing, rather than performing tests on game animals!

Rant over! memtb
Just one comment.

How many items throughout history do you think have been "tested on animals"?

Isn't that what some people love to do with everything? Buy a car, change suspension, supercarge it, etc. Buy a truck, same thing and lift. Buy a rifle, customize it. Why are bullet's off limits to this?
Just saying....

An internally balanced blueprinted 400 truck engine and Dana 44 3.73 turned a 2 yo lame TPI 87 Vette into a much nicer ride till I destroyed the 700R4...... lol

Recent Posts