Interrupted fluting... Your thoughts

There was a good series of articles in VHA a few issues back by an accuracy smith. He slugs all his barrels to makes sure they are of consistent internal dia.from end to end. He stated that alot of fluted barrels tend to be loose under the flutes.

'Loose under the flutes'?? Nice term for resonant harmonics perhaps?

In the interest of harmonics concerning match target, my target rifles all have adjustable harmonic dampers on the barrel for just that reason and it's very possible to change the groups by adjusting (with the moveable dampers), resonant harmonics. 'Sweet spot' settings greatly improve groupings as much as controlled ballistics through handloading.

When the projecticle passes down the barrel, riding on the rifling, it vibrates and that transmits to the barrel itself and causes the barrel to shake and that shake, if you will, causes inaccuracy if not comensated for.

I could see where fluting a barrel could change the harmonics and degrade accuracy......

Sounds like a lot of witchcraft but it works well on my match target rifles, however, it takes a lot of fiddling to find the correct damper placement. I actually have a chart as it pertains to various loads and bullet weights, to set the damper at so I don't have to experiment every time I change configuration.

The guys at Brux told me that, in theory, the interrupted fluting would be a little stiffer than straight fluting. In practice, probably little to no difference. I got the interrupted fluting because I knew I wanted fluting, I thought it looked pretty cool and the theoretical advantage over straight fluting couldn't hurt.

255961a0.jpg

FWIW, it shoots fine too...

130grVLD485grH4831BR2Rem32001.jpg

39aee0c9.jpg

John

Nice! looks like you do some hunting in the Texas Panhandle country. Best kept secret in Texas isnt it.

Here is what the article "Slugging"says.

"I also often find fluted barrels to be enlagred under the flutes. The slug pushes fairly hard until it comes to the flutes, then it pushes very easy until I reach the end of the flutes, where it gets tight again. I find this alot and it's not good!
I also find that previously perfect barrels get enlarged at the crown end after turning the barrel down to install a muzzle brake, which definitley hurts accuracy. When you remove metal from the outside of the barrel for installing the brake-or for fluting or sporter barrel contouring- the bore has a tendency to enlarge under this area."

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.