Wby Accumark weight

cmfi3

Is there any way to lighten a Wby Accumark? I picked up a 30-378 in a accumark about 6 months ago, I mounted a leupold vx-III 4.5-14x40 LR on low rings and dual dovetail mounts. I love the way this rifle shoots, and handles but I dont like the weight, I want a hunting rifle that I can backpack with in the backcountry. Is there anything I could do to shave some weight? Does anyone build a stock thats the same design as the factory stock thats lighter? Can the action be lightened? Would a guy dare go to a lighter contour barrel with a rifle like this? In a perfect world I would love to drop a pound off the thing but I know thats just a dream. This would be the perfect rifle for me if it was just a tad lighter.

That caliber in a lighter rifle is going to introduce you to the recoil zone. To get there you could hollow out the stock. Remove the brake and change the rings to a set of integral aluminum mounts. You could probably dump 2 pounds off of it. The next step would be to trade it for a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in 300Wby. I doubt you would give up much velocity. They weigh in at 6 3/4 pounds. I only have the use of one arm and I think the Accumark is the ideal factory rifle. I have 3 of them. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a nice low milage Ultra Lightweight. They kick like a son of a gun compared to the Accumark. Mine has me spoiled.

Hello Hired Gun, I have been seriously debated selling my accumark and getting the ultralight. I hunt without the brake on my accumark and its tolerable to me, but im kind of leary of the ultralight without a brake, and I dont like the idea of muzzle brakes in some of the areas I hunt, some shot opportunities are up close and fast, no time for ear plugs. By the way hired gun it looks like we're almost neighbors, I just live over the hill in the valley.

Last edited:
I never shoot without earplugs. I like what little hearing I have left. With or without the brake the noise seems the same. I like the bigger Accumarks with the brake on. I like to be able to shoot as relaxed as possible. If you find your self bored and looking for some long range action I have a few spots to stretch it out. As you know in the Tioga you will increase your possibilities the farther you can shoot. I have an 8.5-25x50 on mine.

I have a light weight in 300 wby with accubrake. I love it. I dont ear plugs in hunting situations and have not noticed the noise on any of my 5 past deer. I think adrenaline takes over at that point.

I shot it without and it definitely beats you up. With the accubrake, it kicks less than my 7mm rem mag a bolt with a boss... a lot less. I can shoot it all day.

I am defenitely a believer in accubrakes.

Here is mine.

3002qh3.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts