Accumark or Sendero

bebberson

Trying to decide which to buy, I was wondering about the pros and cons of each or both. I plan on getting one or the other chambered in 25-06, and using it for prarie dogs up to deer sized game within 500 yards or so.

Get the Rem. Sendero it has a much better trigger and everyone that I have ever seen really shoots. The stock on the Sendero IMO is much better also.

While the Sendero is not what it once was, it is still the hands down better choice of these two. I wouldn't give two pounds of powder for an Accumark.

I packed a Sendero around a couple of weeks ago on a sheep hunt and it wasn't that bad. Of course, it's weight was well spread out over my shoulders in my Eberlestock backpack but there was a ton of other stuff in that pack with it too!

For you Sendero owners how is carrying it in the field like say on a spot and stalk pronghorn hunt?

That will depend on your strength & fitness level. Alot of people don't like the weight. I have carried my Sendero's (25-06AI & 300WM) all day on many hunts. In particular I have used the 25-06AI on many WY Antelope & Mule Deer. The weight is not a factor for me at this point. But I am not a small person either.

As with any rifle the more you carry it the easier it gets. You need to train your muscles to tote the load. A good shock absorbing sling helps a great deal.

I am a Weatherby guy, but I would go with the Sendero. The money you save I would have it glass bedded and buy lots of ammo.

Carrying in the filed is not that bad. That said I would not take on a Sheep hunt. Get a nice pack that carries it Liked the Gunslinger.

Willys46

Thanks for the info guys, I went on Remington's website and clicked on the Sendero, and 25-06 is not on the caliber list under Sendero specifications. Does Remington chamber the Sendero in 25-06 anymore????

bebberson,**** Of course you know I'd go with the Sendero. I've never liked the look or feel of Weatherby's. Sorry to say but Remington doesn't chamber the Sendero SF II in .25-06Rem. You will have to look around and see if you can find one of the older 2nd gen. models, the Sendero SF. They are still around, but owners hold on to them for some crazy reason!
I'm looking/trying to finagle a scope for mine now! I had a Var-X III 6.5-20x40 on it and put in on my .300WinMag. JohnnyK.

I saw a 25-06 Sendero at Mackey's Landing www.mackeyslanding.com in NC a week ago this past Sunday. This is a huge gun store. I can't remember if it was used or new. They had a real deal on a used Sendero SS in 264 Win Mag for $960.00 that looked like new. They had new ones for a little over $1,200.00 .

Last edited:
I found a new one on gunbroker.com and this was in the description:

This auction is for a Remington Model 700 SF II Sendero in .25-06. This is not a regularly cataloged item and is a special run for this caliber.

I've got nothing but good to say about any of my 3 Accumarks from their recoil pad to muzzle brake. By the time you bring a Sendero up to the level of an out of the box Accumark the Sendero cost about the same and you still won't have as good a barrel. The factory trigger and barrels on the Accumarks are as good as it gets. All my triggers are set between 12-15 ounces if light is your thing these are nice. For caliber I would look hard at the 257Wby over the 25-06. They are very similar but the 257Wby is just a whole lot more of it.

Here is a link to a new Sendero in 25-06 Remington 700 SENDERO SF II 25-06 26IN for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $966.00 $966

And the Accumark
Weatherby Mark V ACCUMARK 25-06 for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $1,403.00 $1403

Accumark in 257Wby
Weatherby Accumark rifle 257 Weatherby Magnum for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $1,453.00 $1453

I believe the Accumark is a better hunting rifle where the Sendero is more at home on the bench. Accuracy wise my 2-257's 1-300 and buddies 338-378 all all half inch guns and many times much better.

Last edited:
I packed my 300WM Sendero for 4 days of hardcore backpack elk hunting. The first day I forgot my sling -- OOPS -- I made it through the day but it was not a mistake I was going to repeat.

Carrying it on the sling the remaining few days was not an issue, but would have been if I was not in shape for it. It IS a heavy gun, but heavy guns shoot better too. I absolutely love the rifle (and that I bought it before the prices got so bad).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.