New Wby Accumark (break in)

je custom what twist are you running in the lilja barrel?

It is a 1 in 10 6 grove.

I have not tried the 240 gr Match Kings because it is a hunting rifle, And the 200gr partitions
are tough and deadly at these velocities. The Accubonds are almost as good in this rifle (Best
5 shot group .112 compared to the .092 of the partition).

I have inspected the bore with a bore scope and it is holding up well after 300+ rounds with
only a slight bit of throat erosion (The downside to extreme velocities) accuracy remains around
1/10 of an inch on my good days.

J E CUSTOM

Can some one explain why the Wby manual that comes with the rifle dose not
explain how to break in a new barrel??? As i see most aftermarket barrel suppliers do explain how to do the breaking.
FAQ's on the Weatherby website

What does Weatherby® recommend as a break in procedure?

TWO BOX BARREL BREAK-IN
This barrel break-in procedure requires two boxes of ammunition to complete. Start out by shooting one round at a time, cleaning the barrel thoroughly after each round and allowing it to cool. This process should be followed for a total of ten rounds.

Then take the remaining thirty rounds and shoot ten three shot groups, cleaning the barrel thoroughly after each group and allowing it to cool completely before firing the next group. Once ten, three shot groups have been fired the barrel is adequately broken in. At this point the rifle can be sighted in and used.

Last edited:
FAQ's on the Weatherby website

What does Weatherby® recommend as a break in procedure?

TWO BOX BARREL BREAK-IN
This barrel break-in procedure requires two boxes of ammunition to complete. Start out by shooting one round at a time, cleaning the barrel thoroughly after each round and allowing it to cool. This process should be followed for a total of ten rounds.

Then take the remaining thirty rounds and shoot ten three shot groups, cleaning the barrel thoroughly after each group and allowing it to cool completely before firing the next group. Once ten, three shot groups have been fired the barrel is adequately broken in. At this point the rifle can be sighted in and used.

Thanks EDD

What type of bore giude do u use ,hard to get one over here to fit properly.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts