Weatherby Mark V Accumark .300 Wby Mag Recoil

TXHunter07

I'm looking to purchase the above referenced rifle. I am a southpaw, and this is one of the models they make in LH. My real question is, what is the recoil like on this rifle without a muzzle break? I was originally going to go with the Mark V Ultralight, but figured at 2 lbs. lighter than it's big brother, the kick would become too much of a distraction. Am I thinking correctly, or is the recoil much different between the two models at all?

Also, any other opinions on the perfomance of this rifle, recommended loads for 500 - 700 yards, and anything else you may want to add would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

I had a 300 WBY Ultra Light, and it had brutal recoil. Zero'd it, shot a moose and it went back in the safe. There is a difference in the 2lbs when it comes to recoil and muzzle blast....

It depends on the person. I'm also rifle model challenged(lefty), and have been looking at the 257 wby as I already have a 300 win and 300 ultra, so why get the 300 wby.
I also have a righty 375h@h that weighs 8# flat scoped, and I can tell you that it's one of my best rifles. It will shoot 3/4" to1" groups full out with a 300 gr barnes off of sand. My 300 ultra is 9# scoped and she is heavy but manageable recoil-wise. It looks like you are at 6 3/4' sans scope and rings/bases with the light weight, so you will be at 8 to 8 1/4' ready to go. It has a pachmeyer decelerator on it, so it will be stout but doable.

The M5 in 300 Wby is not bad. I shoot a 300 and 375 Wby in that configuration without much issue. I am very recoil tolerant though.

The recoil of my 300 Wby Accumark is very manageable with the installed Wby accubrake (not fun to shoot without it). I would recommend a brake or a suppressor if you are recoil sensitive. Mine shoots 3/4 moa with Weatherby 180 TTSX

I used to laugh at my friends and bring my 458 win mag along. Just shoot 2-3 shots and then what ever you have will seem like a plinking gun. It made my 338 Lapua easy to shoot :)

I do use a shooting coat with the padded shoulder.

As a 90 pound kid I was a 12 gauge bird hunter and big rifles never seemed like that much more. :) using 3 inch mag shells for geese.

I'd get a brake. A 9 lb 300 weatherby comes back fast and hard. I have a custom 300 WBY it is 12.5 lbs scoped laminate stock and simi heavy barrel.. it is unbraked and still is a bit obnoxious to shoot. I have a 10lb braked 338 Norma that I regularly shoot 270s out of and watch my impacts..it's worth it.One of my very good friends has shot more than you and I can pay for with a 300 wby….true worldwide cartridge

Put a brake on it, but don't waste time with a radial brake just get a side ported one. Hawkins has a pretty nice self timing brake which is easy to install, lightweight, and offers a bit less concussion than more aggressive side ported brakes.