Might be getting a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight

I've ran upon what I think is a great deal. A Weatherby Mark V Ultralight in .300 Wby Mag. I already have a .300 Win Mag, but I've always wanted a Mark V. It's got a few battle scars (minor scratches) but it is a beauty, and $650 makes it impossible for me to pass up. I believe it is a 26" barrel and a Accu-Brake.

Anyone have anything to say about this style rifle? If you were me, would you get it, even though you already have a .30 mag? I believe its 200 fps better than the Win Mag, correct?

Please give me your thoughts.

View attachment 159114 View attachment 159115 View attachment 159116
Get it for sure! Love my Wheatherbys...and that's a terrific price

You can't blame a guy for trying.
No sir, I can not blame you.

On a side note, how long is the magazine box on a Mark V ? Is there just one LA (ie: Ruger had a LA and a "Magnum" action) ? For example, wouldn't it work well for a .300 PRC or .300 Norma rebarrel, because you'd have room to seat the bullets out long?

On a side note, how long is the magazine box on a Mark V ? Is there just one LA (ie: Ruger had a LA and a "Magnum" action) ? For example, wouldn't it work well for a .300 PRC or .300 Norma rebarrel, because you'd have room to seat the bullets out long?
I have a Vanguard in .300 and a Mark V in .375. The standard action is magnum size and there is an extension magazine offered by an aftermarket company whose name eludes me. By reports I've read the aftermarket magazine will allow full use of Weatherby's long throat. I have never need to use this magazine.

3.6"

Call weatherby and order the 378 magazine. That will net you 3.815
I did not know, thank you sir!

I can't wait to feel it's bite. I expect recoil to be "brisk". I think with a Limbsaver recoil pad, I won't have any issues dropping the brake in favor of a thread protector.

Last edited:
I had a love affair with a weatherby ultra lite in 240 Wthy at the old shop I worked at. It was a wood stocked UL . I wish to this day i had bought that rifle !
You should jump all over that 300. Great find !

I had a love affair with a weatherby ultra lite in 240 Wthy at the old shop I worked at. It was a wood stocked UL . I wish to this day i had bought that rifle !
You should jump all over that 300. Great find !
What makes it an Ultralight ? I was wondering if I could swap a Laminate stock onto it to add a little weight. I love Hogue stocks, but they don't have one for a Mark V, and I'm not sure a Hogue on a Mark V wouldn't be blasphemous lol

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.