Want opinions on a new hunting rifle

MontanaHunter406

I am looking at two .308 Win rifles to get for my next hunting/range rifle a Weatherby Vanguard H Bar rc or the Savage 10 fcp HS precision I want to try and balance between both uses for the rifle ringing steel and hunting I appreciate the input thank you.

They are about the same weight. The Savage has a 24" barrel. The Vanguard is only 22". The Savage has a proven stock and IMO the vertical grip better for LR shooting. You can easily make the Savage into a 6mm or 6.5 something if you decide you don't want a 308 anymore. For those reasons, IMO the Savage is a better buy.

Thank you for your input I was looking at maybe switching to a 6.5 Creedmoor or something similar in the future but I have a lot of people tell me it's a little light for elk I know it's more about shot placement than anything but is the 6.5 really enough for thick skined animals like elk I know it's great for the range.

Some folks use the 6.5 for elk. Guess they even use the 6.5x55 Swed for moose a lot in Europe. Think the 6.5 would limit you more on distance. I was really just suggesting the 6.5 for long range target shooting. And to drive home the fact that you can easily change the Savage barrel and make the rifle something else in the future, if you wanted.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.