New rifle opinions

hoser

Hello all. I'm new here and would like some advice because my rifle knowledge is not great. Especially regarding ballistics.

I own an Over/Under rifle in 30-06 with iron sights that I plan to use on close range game like wild pig and close range shooting areas for deer, elk or moose. I'll use this rifle like one would use an iron sighted lever action rifle.

I'd like a scoped rifle that would reach out to 500 yards (actually out to any range that iron sights would not work) -- especially for elk or moose. Would you recommend getting another 30-06 or jump up to 300wm or 338wm (of which I never thought of as a flat, longer range round, but I could be wrong)?

Any insights? Thanks.

If you are looking to hunt the game you stated out to 500 yards and are a good shot the 30.06 will work fine. If you want a little extra and not have to deal with a lot more recoil the .300 WSM, or the .300 Mag will work fine. Good luck.....

Jumping up to a higher recoiling rifle, first you would have to base that on how you can handle the recoil of the ones you've had experience shooting so far.

Other cartidges do have advantages if you can manage recoil to shoot them accuratly. If this is not an issue then the higher velocity 300's or 338's would serve you even better.

A good scope, lots of practice at longer ranges and educating yourself in all the aspects to do with is what is most important though, and will pay the biggest rewards, just something to keep in mind.

I like the big 338's myself and am having one built next.

My current 30-06 is an over/under built on a shotgun frame with iron sights. Not sure if I wanted to install a scope on this because I'm not sure how accurate or consistant these are compared to a bolt action.

Also, second shot at those distances will not impact at same POI. Therefore, my thinking was to just leave it as an iron sighted gun (use it to hunt like it was a lever action) and get another for longer distances.

Thanks Brent,
Maybe I should just get a bolt action 30-06 to keep same caliber. But that seems kinda boring!

Is recoil difference significant between 300wm and 338wm? I've heard there's not a lot of difference between hot 30-06 and 300wm so maybe need to go up more to the 338. How is trajectory differnce between the two?

Or maybe 7mm Rem Mag?
confused.gif

Berclaw46 has a 338 Ultra for sale right now on the board, it has a grey laminate stock as mine does but it is blued with some engraving too. He said over the phone this evening it was in in perfect shape with a trigger job already done at about 2lbs. The 338 Ultra is one to consider, the recoil would be as though you had VERY hot loads in the '06 with heavy bullets and a touch more. You will notice a difference, but if it was too much a muzzle brake installed would make it a breeze compared to the '06 without one.

Trajectory with the 300 Ultra is best, then the 300wm and 338 Ultra next, not sure which one's flatter there, it would be close with the energy easily going to the 338 Ultra by alot.

Do you reload?

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.