building a rifle, needing opinions

youngtrout

Hello, I looking at building up a rifle. I recently purchased a cdl 700 action, which is basically stock.

I need to try to keep this project somewhat affordable so I was looking a barrels that could be ordered short chambered and installed and reamed by myself (I have done the same thing with three mauser 98's)

My question is which barrel would be best, I really see this rifle being used for 500 and under shooting (I know you guys are a looong range forum, but 500 is long for me?) The barrel needs to be ordered threaded up and chambered.

So any barrel recomendations would be great, also any other comments on the job would also be great, how to get the most out of the 700, without having it blueprinted (or arguments for bluprinting) Just starting out, would love any and all comments!

i picked up a douglas premium barrel in SS pretty much ready to go....i dont put to many rds through it though (250 in 7 months). accuracy is wonderful...

Chambered and threaded leaves out lilja and possibly some others.

Douglas would be good!

Just make sure you get the head space close to proper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Brownells sells some Shilen short chambered and fitted barrels. Very common calibers though; 223 243 22-250 7-08 308 30-06.

They also list ER Shaw Premier Grade barrels. Better selection of calibers, but don't know about quality, probably better than rem factory and would do well to 500.

Any quality barrel blank is going to run $250-300. Most smiths will charge from $135-175 max to chamber. Many will throw in facing the front of the rcvr for that price.

Suggest you talk to PacNor as they run a good special on doing this also with their barrels and all you have to do is UPS/mail your action to them, which you can do yourself for $10 as they are a gunsmith also and it is legal to mail to a smith.

BH

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll be going the shilen route, need to make a call, thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.