Opinions on my long range rifle

OK guys, I was finally able to get to the range with the new Viper HS. I'm very happy with it so far. It seems to be holding zero and the optics are very clear for me. If I needed to buy another scope I wouldn't hesitate to pick another Viper HS up.

Your gonna have to use a 175gr bullet to make it at 1000yds without a wobble motion in the bullet..Something compared to a 175gr SMK.

I understand that a shorter barrel equates to lower velocities but also is easier for manueverability and I don't feel the velocity loss can out way that extra manueverability. Until I run some velocity tests and see what this barrel will produce velocity wise I'll make the trade off for now.

Have you used the UTG's and found them to be inferior?

Depends on barrel twist also. Last I knew Savage had a faster twist than Remingtons, maybe a 1/10". Some Remingtons are 1/12

The length in barrel vs. loss in velocity is not enough to worry about. Some time ago that theory would have been true, technology has changed.

Allout, that is indeed a fine rig. You will find that this rig will meet just about every standard you set for quite some time as you start to get into longer distances.

The 308/7.62 is quite capable of killing a deer at 600yrds. In fact the 308/7.62 has a much greater effective kill range, in excess of 1000 meters.

Last edited:
Just wanted to get some constructive opinions on my setup:

Savage model 10FP with stock heavy 22" fluted barrel
HS Precision Pro series 2000 stock
Muscle brake muzzle brake
Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x50 scope
UTG heavy quick detach rings
EGW scope base
Dark Eagle 10 round magazine

I didn't see this mentioned here but be careful what and where you hunt with that 10 rounder. Here in TX it's illegal for deer and I'm sure some other jurisdictions feel the same way.

alloutsmith3 - any more descriptors for the HS? How is the feel of the turret adjustment?

How do they compare to a Leupold M1 turret (if you've had a chance to play with one of those)?

alloutsmith3 - any more descriptors for the HS? How is the feel of the turret adjustment?

How do they compare to a Leupold M1 turret (if you've had a chance to play with one of those)?

And how does it compare to a Vortex Viper PST; optics, turret (if you've ever had a chance to play with one of those)?

Vortex says the HS is the same scope as the PST without the lIlluminated Reticle.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.