Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm

Cordell

Well much to my surprise I received an e-mail on Fed 26th saying my PST (6-24x50mm SFP) was on its way. I all ready had the rings for it so when It arrived I could take off the Bushnell 3200 Elite, and mount the PST straight away. I was not able to try and mount the scope until Monday (the scope arrived on Friday) and was not able to look through the scope until Monday due to it being my weekend to work. I would leave when it was dark and come home in the dark. I had the scope for 2.5 days before I could look through it, life is just not fair some times :D.

Now for the mounting. Well the cross slot screw had thread issues (they were striped out) so I had to send them back for a new set. The new set arrived and a screw in a top scope ring had been cross threaded and the last 4 threads were nice and shinny, I sent that set back.

Third times a charm and I was able to mount the rings with out any trouble and get the scope mounted too.

The weather has been typical march weather, great on the days I work and sucky when I am off. So today was the first day I could get good pictures of the scope on the gun and have a chance to show the reticule on game.

I am extremely lucky to live and work where I do. When I got up this morning I glassed the hill side and found some Elk that for some unknown reason were lower than they should be for this time of year. In years past they have stayed just below the snow line in the spring, but today were very low and only 1,720 yards away give or take (had to Google earth them).

I got the newly mounted PST out, put the Bi-Pod on it, got a rear bag and went to the kitchen table. The pictures are at 24x the first one is looking through the sliding door that has window tint on it. The second picture is with the window open, but since it was only 36 degrees outside the heat waves from the inside air mixing with the outside air really mess with the image.

Before I mounted the scope I took it out side and looked through it and was impressed with how clear it was at 24 x. These pictures do not do the clarity justice. I was a little scared to buy a scope without being able to look through it first but have no regrets about it now. As soon as I can get to the range I will post a report on how it tracks and returns to zero.

Hope this helps those of you who are looking for a new scope and those who are waiting for their PST to arrive.

24x window open

B24xwindwclosed_3264x2448.jpg

24x Window Open

B24xwindwopen_3264x2448.jpg

338 Edge with 6-24x50mm PST
DSCN0219_3264x2448.jpg

Two of my hiking BUDS
DSCN0220_3264x2448.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, keep the info coming once you get it dialed in. My brother in law has one coming in FFP. We can't waite to get our hands on it. (nice rifle, what brake?)

What reticle is on that scope? EBR-I? I like it. I had been looking for some type of a ballistic plex scope for a new 7mm stw i just bought. That one looks good to me, it's not to "busy"

huntokanogan,

Your correct it is the EBR-1 ret. The second focal plane like mine has the hash marks at 1 MOA and the first focal plane has them at 2 Moa. I like the MOA rets.

matt_3479,

You bet I will. I will try and get some better pis on 24x. I was using my instamatic digital and it would only focus on the ret and I could not get the elk into focus. I will break out the nice Nikon and see if that will work

Good post. Good looking dog. Sweet looking gun too.

I saw a zero stop video (from Vortex I think) where they used a shim system. Is that offered in this scope?

Was also looking into one of these in 4-16 illum. ret. for my 6.5 Grendel. Looking forward to hear back from you on how it tracks.

Keep us posted and good luck.

eshorebwhntr,

Yep the Viper PST have the shim system for the zero stop. Once i have it zeroed at 200 yards i will instal the shims and see how they work.

What rings were you using that you had to send them back twice? The vortex rings are made by seekins and they are supposed to be high quality stuff?

eshorebwhntr,

Yep the Viper PST have the shim system for the zero stop. Once i have it zeroed at 200 yards i will instal the shims and see how they work.

I put the shims in my 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA with a Custom Turret after I zeroed the scope at 200 yds. Just be careful to alternate the direction of the shims and put as many in as you can. The first time I did it the turret would turn 3/4s of a turn past zero before it stopped. I then took the turret off again and was able to add more shims and now it turns 1/4 turn past zero which is what it should do.

joseph

PS: Oh, you are going to love your scope.

Last edited:
pyroducksx3,

The rings I used on this gun and others are Burris 30 mm Signature Zee Rings with the inserts. I have 3 or 4 sets in 1 inch and have had zero problems with them and are my first choice when mounting a scope. Lucky for me I bought them through Midway and had no problem exchanging them, thank you Midway customer service!!

I used the 10 inch inserts to get 10 more moa/inches of taper, I also used a Nightforce 20moa base. I wanted to be able to shoot out to a mile and this set up will get me close if it does not get me there. I can then use the EBR-1 ret for an additional 10 moa if I need it.

joseph,

I am glad to heare you like your scope and the shims will get me back to zero with only a quarter turn past zero. If the weather holds I will get to the range tomorrow and do some work.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.