Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm

Hey Brother,

Maybe i missed it but how much adjustment does the vortex have for vertical and horizontal MOA?

Its time to go and shoot the edges. Nothing like hearing the steel getting whacked with a 300 gr.SMK. Should be better now since I got my Nightforce fixed.

I still need to get a solid load for the 7mm THOR worked out. I got some 200gr. Wildcats coming, thanks to dirtball on this site. Going to try these and see what happens.

So much to do and no time!!!!!!

gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)

Big Brother

LMAO!

You know your busy when two brothers comunicate via web postings.:D

The Vortex PST has 65 moa and If I remember right and bore sigthed my PST close to where the Bushnell was I only have about 7-8 moa for down adjustments, everything else is left for up. I have alot more downward taper with the PST and it is mounted higher than the Bushnell too. I should find out how much I have tomorrow at the range.

I still need to get the AR 450 steel plate cut up. I will be able to get 3 plates at 11.5"x15" and 2 at 7"x7" I have come up with a plan to make durable frames out of angle iron and rebar that will allow the plate to swing which will make it EZer to see distant hits, and we will get some reactoin from the target.

Get the Thor wrung out so we can push it out there and see what he will do. Should be one heck of a year for long range. My shooting buddy got his Rem 700 SPS in 308 and stocked it with a B&C stock so far it looks like a shooter. We will be testing it out to 300 tomorrow.

I have been reading " for the money" about the Vortex PST scopes. I really wonder if you could shoot smaller groups with rifles that have $3000 scopes than with the PSTs? I have a fairly accurate 6mm Norma BR. with a 6-24x50mm PST MOA scope with a Custom Vortex Turret that is "dead nuts accurate".

I DO NOT think I could shoot any better with anymore expensive scope and I do not care how more clearer the glass is. And this is all the way out to 1200 yards. If I can hit gongs at 1200 yards the only hinderance was READING the WIND not the scope.

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Field test: Vortex Viper 6-24x50mm PST MOA FFP scope. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Just my .02

joseph

joseph,

I agree with you I could not shoot any better with a 3,000 dollar scope than I do with my vortex.

I had a Tasco Super Sniper (when they were made by tasco) on a 308. It was the fixed 10 power with side paralax adjustment.

That scope and rifel were a deadly combinatoin. I was able to hit milk jugs at 500 yards. With ten power that is as far as I wanted to try hitting milk jugs on the flat lake bed I was in. The jugs were very small in the scope. I miss that gun and scope I would have no reservatoins about getting another one if I ever get a 308 again.

Today at the Range:

It was nice to have the EBR-1 ret I was able to measure other shooters groups from zero for the other shooters and help make the sight in process faster. Did not have as much time as I would have liked and was not able to do every thing i wanted. I got it zeroed for 200 yards and the ret leveled.

My buddy now wants this same scope for his 308 he just got, and the other shooter who looked through the PST really liked it. Not long after we arrived my gun smith who built the gun arrived to do some shooting too. It was the first day in many many many many weeks that it was able to take my jacket off while setting up. Just one very fine day indeed.

Can't wait to get this set up out past 800 yards. I was shooting 800 last fall and it became boring. I never thought I would be able to say that. This 338 is a shooter. I am EXTREMLY happy with my Brux barrel and will be getting another one when I rebarrel my 300 RUM.

LONG RANGE RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Last edited:
I should have had you take my edge and sight it in for me. The last 3 times I have gone shooting the weather turned bad on me after I got done shooting the THOR cutting my sessions short. I got the Wildcat bullets in the mail today. Need to find time at the loading bench now.

I need to look through that Vortex and compare it. Bring it with you when you bring the levels back. How's the tracking so far? Return to zero? True moa adjustments ( ie; 20 moa on the turret equals 20 moa on the target)?
You going for the custom turret?

Still can't decide what to put on top of the 243 AI,Leupold, Nightforce G7 or maybe a Vortex !!!!!

gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)

I set the gun on the kitchen table and placed the ret on an animal and cranked up 10 moa. It looked like i had to add 1/2 moa to get to the same spot, put with out having the gun secured into a vise i can not say for sure. If i can find time this week end (its one of my 2 three day weekends for the month) I will strap it down and check it again and see what it does.

I would like to get out to your place sunday or monday and return the levels and borow you portabel DVD player, I will bring the gun when I come out.

Just wanted to let you all konw I had not forgot about this thread. The kids and wife were off last week for Spring Break and we snuck down to Moab for the week for some hiking and 4x4'n. Left in good weather came back to snow on the grass and cold weather. The rest of the week is looking to be the same so I am not sure I will be getting out to further test the scope this week. But if I can get a brake in the weather on a day off I will be out testing it.

I miss Moab all ready.............

Brett,

I only have 50 or so rounds through the gun and last time I tested the velocity it was around 2800. Once I have 100 through it I will re test and see what I am getting. The chamber was cut with a Pacific Tool and Gauge reamer, the same one Defensive Edge Uses. I has a tight neck and was cut by a very qualifyed gun smith, so it has a "match" chamber.

Got to the range 2 weeks ago and did some shooting. I cranked up 10 moa and down 10 moa and it tracked on the grid i had set up at 100 yards. I ran out of time and was not able to do a box test. That will have to wait for another day.

The snow has stopped falling, at least at lower elevations, and i should be heading to the hills behind my house in the next week to try some long range shooting (past 800 yards) with the Edge.

PS
Shooting a 338 Edge without a muzzle brake SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the update!, My edge is in the mail, My smith took a picture for me before tearing it down, I'll find the right section and introduce her ;)

I used my brothers set of Reddings, and I will be buying a set of Reddings for my self this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.