Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm

blasted govt computers! i can't see the photos! i'll have to get on a "civilian" computer to see them. I am wanting to get the same scope, but i read on another forum that the PST "whites out" in low-light facing near the setting sun (west/south-west). have you had this problem or can you find out if your scope does the same thing? that would be a pretty big bummer.

Drespecki,

I was finally able to get behind the scope and compare it with my Leupold 4.5-14x40. With the PST set at 16 the two scopes are very similar on the Eye Box. As i crank up the power on the PST the box did get smaller. One thing i think helps limit the Eye box problem is the adjustable check piece. It really helps keep your eye in line with the scope.

I hope to get to the range in the next week or so to stretch the new scope out. I have only shot to 300 yards with the scope on due to all the snow and very wet spring we had. Last fall I had a Bushnell 3200 on the Edge and was shooting out to 700 plus with no problem. The PST should help with farther shots and I will be able to see how the Eye box is in real world conditions.

Rocknwell,

I have not had any experience with what you are describing. I will see what I can do to test this out. I wonder if the guy that had this happen was outside or inside. If they are inside looking through a window the window glass could very easily caused the white out.

Weatherby460

I like the scope and so far have no regrets with getting one. I tops off the Edge very nicely and the optics are very good for the money I paid.

I am making up for lost time from last summer when I was on nights and my wife was doing a masters degree. We did not get much time together as a family last year. We have been making up for it this year and I have got less sleep since I went back to day shift than I did on night shift. Very fun summer so far. I will do my best to answer the above questions and any in the future.

i see the pictures now! so those pics are what the view looks like through the scope at object a mile away from inside a heated home that is mixing with cooler air outside and of course the an extra lens of a camera. i must say, that is not bad at all! i have no idea how long it would me take to even shoot anything at a mile! i think i'd be ok with getting one of these. thanks for the pics a long time too late! :)

Just wanted to up date this post. I have been busy with family and have not been to the range at all this summer. I did sit down and figure out how far I could shoot with the PST.

I have 58 MOA's of adjustment left after mounting the scope on a 20 MOA base and a set of 10 MOA Burris rings. This will get me to around 1700 yards, and with the 10 MOA'S of hash marks, this will get me close to 1900 yards.

Now this is all done on a ballistics program at gseven.com and I have not field tested it yet. Once I get some dies for reloading I will be doing some more shooting and drop chart development, and testing out some new AR 450 steel targets.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.