Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm

Cordell.
You may have said this before but what other scopes do you own. I mean like higher end scopes starting around Nikon/Leupold going up to premier and schmidt and bender. I curious cause i would like to know how the vortex compares to your other scopes and your overall satisfaction?

I am just waiting on a few more things and i believe i will officially place an oder on my very own Vortex Viper PST either in 4-16x50mm or 6-24x50mm. This scope will be used for hunting mainly and target practice on the off season. i think i will be getting the 4-16 just cause the magnification is a little better for hunting then the 6-24 when hunting big game. I believe the 16 is plenty for 600-800 yards and 4 is long enough for 50 yards. I also think im going with ffp so i can make a quick shot with my reticle or set up and dial it in before squeezing off the shot.

Cordell, could you do a tracking test with your scope? don't bother with a box test, won't tell you that much. get a target that's at least 30" high with a bullseye at the bottom. shoot one at your zero, crank it up 20moa, shoot one, crank it back down to your zero. repeat this till you have 2 groups of at least 3 bullets each. most importantly, this will tell you how much does the POI move in regards to the moa adjusted. this will also tell you if it will repeat, return to zero, and if it's tracking vertically. it's the best test for a scope. myself and others would love to know how it does with this test.

Cordell, could you do a tracking test with your scope? don't bother with a box test, won't tell you that much. get a target that's at least 30" high with a bullseye at the bottom. shoot one at your zero, crank it up 20moa, shoot one, crank it back down to your zero. repeat this till you have 2 groups of at least 3 bullets each. most importantly, this will tell you how much does the POI move in regards to the moa adjusted. this will also tell you if it will repeat, return to zero, and if it's tracking vertically. it's the best test for a scope. myself and others would love to know how it does with this test.

Mine is the Vortex 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope with a Vortex Custom Turret.

I have never done what you ask with 20 MOA, but my zero is at 200 yds. and when I shoot at 1,000 yds. I adjust the turret up 108 clicks which is 27 MOA then back down 108 clicks and it is exactly on my 200 yd. zero. Is this what you want to know. I can not see how any scope can be more accurate no matter how much it costs. :):):)

joseoh

PS: When at 1,000 yds. I shot 3 sighters then two 10 shot groups then back down to my 200 yard zero with a 5 shot group which was a 3/4" group in the x-ring at 200 yds.

Last edited:
Everything I'm reading about the Viper PST is awesome! Enjoyed following this thread-kind of gets me pumped up! I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 6x24 pst-just need to decide on FFP or SFP..??
Cordell---Would you still shoot the sfp if you could change it to ffp?

"Cordell---Would you still shoot the sfp if you could change it to ffp?"

sticknstring
I do not understand what you are asking, will you re state your questoin please?

Sorry Cordell-I did come out a little confusing.:cool:

It seems like the guys shooting the long distances prefer FFp's. I was asking , if you are happy with the performance of the viper pst with sfp?

I'm trying to get a little in-sight or feedback from someone shooting an sfp instead of an ffp in this brand/model scope. I'm fixing to get the same scope.
BTW-Nice rig!

sticknstring,

after reading Brett's post and re reading your question I understand your question now. Sorry I had been up for 20 hour straight and the brain was failing me.

The FFP reti is in 2 moa hash marks and the SFP is in 1 moa hash marks. The FFP has 30 Moa below the x and the SFP has 10 moa.

I have not looked through a FFP so this may be wrong. Looking on Vortex web sight and according to what others are saying the FFP ret is thicker. I would rather have the thinner ret and 1 moa hash marks than thicker ret and 2 moa spacing.

People say you have to power down to range due to heat waves. Where i hunt, the hunting seasons are in the fall and it is usually cooler and heat waves are not to much of an issue. If i need to power down it can. The power ring on the SFP has "stops" built in and stop at 6, 8, 12 and 24. At 24x the has marks are 1 moa, at 12x the hash marks are 2moa (FFP is 2 moa no mater what power you are on) at 8x the hash marks are 3 moa and at 6 they are 4 moa.

I have used SFP ret on every scope i have ever had, the work for me, until I can do I side by side I can not say for 100% that the SFP is better but the SFP works. If I went to the FFP it would be the only FFP i had so when I take my 300 RUM out that has a SFP or my 22-250 or any other SFP mounted rifle I would have to try and remember to put on max power to range, if they are all SFP I do it the same way every time.

I saved 150.00 or more with the SFP will continue shooting and hunting the way I have for many years and have 1 moa hash marks on the vertical and horizontal, not even night force has that. I really like my PST SFP.

So to sum up my answer, no I would not shoot the FFP over the SFP.

With respect to all, the FFP (for me) would be a step in the wrong direction. Train like you fight and fight like you train. (P.P.P.P.P.P.)

Cordell, may I ask how you find the 'eye box' ? Is it very critical to hold your head straight on at medium to high powers (or any power for that matter) to keep the tunnel of vision clear of shadowing or disappearing? I have very crappy vision and find most scopes are sensitive to one having to be in the 'perfect' position to get a good view..
Thanks...

drespecki,

You got me on my long 3 day weekend that I work. I will do some testing tomorrow specifically for what you are asking. I has been almost 2 months since I have been behind the scope and rifle. I will post again once I have some info for you.

drespecki,

I have not forgot about you, got very busy. I will compare the scope to my leupold 4.5-14 when i get some time. next week

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts