vortex viper 6.5-20x50

fishingsetx

hello,

I am a newbie to long range shooting and just purchased my first rifle I consider capable. I am not new to shooting by any means, but have been pretty much limited to 200 yds or less. the rifle I bought is a single shot Savage model 12 target in 6.5x284 norma with a boyds thumb hole stock and rifle basix trigger set at about 1.5 lbs. Now I just need some glass to go on top and cant see putting a $200 scope on a gun like this (most of my other rifles are topped with Nikons). Ive been eyeing this Vortex:

Vortex 6.5 - 20 x 50 Viper Riflescope | Academy

my question is, is this the best bang for my buck? should I be looking at something else? better options?

my budget is about $800, but I would really prefer to keep it closer to $500 and still get a decent scope.

I'm using the viper pst version in same magnification,Second focal plane and have had good success with it. The dials seem to hold repeatable 1/4 Moa click values and is in general a good LR scope. I added a 25 Moa canted rail and have no problem reaching out to as far as I want to shoot. Glass is good quality but it's no nightforce for sure. I think my scope fell in the $7-800 range and I have considered it a good buy. I have had mine for about 6 years on top of a 300 wby mag and have no poi changes. I found it to be a good starter scope and plan to eventually upgrade to nightforce. I won't be getting rid of the viper, however, it will be going on one of my smaller guns that I don't have set up for LR yet.

I have the same Vortex scope but with the 44mm objective. I'd call it a mediocre scope. If you stay below about 14x it's pretty good but above that the image clarity drops off substantially.

I have a couple of Vortex Vipers and am not pleased with the clarity of their lenses.
I have compared them against some of my other scopes and to my eyes they lack clarity especially at the higher powers. When viewing fine detail there appears to be a haze around the object being viewed almost like a shadow. I prefer crisp clear images.

Vortex does have amazing customer service. If there is a problem they do take care of their customers.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.