Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 & 300 WM problem

swap the rings end for end and see if that makes a diference.

I was thinking the same thing. I always mic the distance fom where the ring sets on the rail to where the scope sits on the ring. I have seen up to .007" difference in a pair of rings. Move the tallest one to the rear.

Jeff

Broz said:
I was thinking the same thing. I always mic the distance fom where the ring sets on the rail to where the scope sits on the ring. I have seen up to .007" difference in a pair of rings. Move the tallest one to the rear.

Jeff

The math doesn't work out. That could only account for a 5-10 moa alignment error. The OP has a 40-50 moa problem.

The math doesn't work out. That could only account for a 5-10 moa alignment error. The OP has a 40-50 moa problem.

I agree but remember the difference will double if moving a short ring from the rear to the front. So a .007" difference could have the affect of .014". Also this will be affected by ring height too. All that said I think it is time to pull the scope and get a good straight edge on top of the rail. If the rail to receiver top does not match up the problem could have neen induced while tightening the two surfaces to each other.

Jeff

Took it in today to a shop that specializes in long range shooting. They put a laser on it, did a few other things and were convinced it was something during the manufacturing process of either the action or the barrel or the attaching of the two. Their suggestion was to buy a set of Burris Signature Zee rings that has an additional 20 MOA built in. They confirmed that everything was set up right and that I only had about 6 moa left to go up. So hopefully after I switch out rings, I should have around 26 MOA to play with.

Thanks for all of your insight and suggestions helping out a newbie, very much appreciated.

They confirmed that everything was set up right and that I only had about 6 moa left to go up. So hopefully after I switch out rings, I should have around 26 MOA to play with. .

26 moa.... Man that sux. I would be for sending it back or something.

Sorry to hear this.

Jeff

That large of an alignment error is not acceptable for a production rifle. Can you return it?

If not, I would bed the base to get it closer to proper alignment, and I would use Signature rings to fine tune the scope alignment.

I have almost the same thing happening with my Viper pst also. I also have a 20MOA weaver tactical base on my winchester action with a kreiger barrel on it. I have a grand total of 24 moa of upward travel. I am thinking it is the base or the rings that I have on it, they too are weaver rings as I didn't have the money at the time to get good stuff but now I wish I wouldve. The reason I say this is I did have a Leupold LR one piece base with the standard rings before I put on the weaver stuff and had 36 moa of up travel. So long story short, I am going to ditch the cheap stuff and buy NF, you do get what you pay for.

On another note, not too impressed with the vortex pst

The rifle is a Winchester Laredo, which was only made for a few years on the 1990's I believe. I bought it a few years ago on gunbroker and have just had it in the safe til recently. I mounted up the Burris rings today, and while I was at it, I first switched the Warne rings I had on there with no change in point of aim according to the boresighter. Also a straight edge on the Weaver base showed no problem. It looks like I have about 28 MOA of up now, from the 100 yd zero, and according to the ballistic program, I should only need about 24 to get 1000 yd zero. So I am hoping a trip to the range tomorrowwill show that it is all good to go.

I have almost the same thing happening with my Viper pst also. I also have a 20MOA weaver tactical base on my winchester action with a kreiger barrel on it. I have a grand total of 24 moa of upward travel. I am thinking it is the base or the rings that I have on it, they too are weaver rings as I didn't have the money at the time to get good stuff but now I wish I wouldve. The reason I say this is I did have a Leupold LR one piece base with the standard rings before I put on the weaver stuff and had 36 moa of up travel. So long story short, I am going to ditch the cheap stuff and buy NF, you do get what you pay for.

On another note, not too impressed with the vortex pst

Basin I agree. Thanks forposting this. It seems you proved the weaver base had less moa than it was advertised. I agree about cheap bases. I learned too this is not a good place to cheap out.

Don't wish to de-rail this thread, but wloud like to hear the issues on your PST. I just got one in for a friend and would like to know your issues. Did you post about it in another thread by chance?

Jeff

Jeff, I would say my biggest complaint is the lack of movement of the reticule. 65 moa is cutting it short without a canted rail, then if you do and are near the end of travel adjustment the picture in the scope is screwed up. The other thing is my scope is not as bright as my VX3 8.5-25 which has 90 plus moa of travel and with my 40 moa NF rail, I have 87moa of travel and no skewed sight picture. Also with a bestbuddyfriend discount I the lupy for 575 new and put out 750 for the vortex.

I like the reticule and the tracking of the turrets is dead on but thats where it ends.

Sorry if I strayed from the post. Jeff

is just me, looking at the posted picture the front bell of the scope seems to be touching the mounting rail. if it is that could be the problem.

It doesn't look that way to me. You might be seeing the shadow of the bell, rather than the bell itself. Looks to me like plenty of clearance.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts