Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50, Leupold 30mm Mark-4 MEDIUM rings, American Ruger 30-06?

PhatFireMan

I'm no firearms genius so I apologize in advance if I happen to ask a stupid question...

I have a new Ruger American 30-06. It had a Bushnell 3-9x50 Legend Ultra HD DOA scope on it, using 1" Burris Signature Zee Rings MEDIUM height. The objective lens cleared the barrel by about 3 millimeters or so with that setup, and allowed me to get a good cheek weld without any modifications.

After taking the Bushnell off my Savage 7mm mag because I had trouble sighting it in (previous thread), and then putting it on my new American (thinking magnum caliber was the problem)...short story is that the scope had broken internally and I returned it under warranty for a full refund.

Refund check in hand...to replace the Bushnell on my American I plan to order a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA, Mil Dot Reticle (VPR-M-06MD). I recently put this same scope on my Savage 7mm mag (long action bolt), with 30mm Burris Signature Zee Rings MEDIUM height, and so far it is working great. Again the objective lens clears the barrel by just a couple millimeters, and the eyepiece lens does not interfere with the action or a good cheek weld.

I'm willing to spend the extra money and buy some Leupold Mark-4 30 mm rings this time, instead of Burris, if warranted. The Leupold literature I find online, however, indicates that I should buy HIGH or even EXTRA HIGH height rings for a 50mm lens. I cannot tell if Leupold MEDIUM height is equivalent to Burris MEDIUM height, and it would seem logical that I do not want to mount my scope any higher that I have to.

Anyone know if a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 will fit on a Ruger American using Leupold Mark-4 MEDIUM height rings? HIGH rings? Or how about the Burris MEDIUM rings? Seems logical to me that if the 1" Burris MEDIUM rings fit a 50mm objective lens scope on this rifle, then the 30mm Burris MEDIUM rings will also, even though it is a different make/model scope.

And...is it even worth the extra money to buy the Leupold over the Burris? About double the price. Most people seem perfectly happy with Burris Signature Zee rings, others say buy Leupold for quality. I kind of lean toward the getting what you pay for philosophy (within my own means), but have no experience with the Leupold rings.

My shooting intentions with this whole setup are hunting pig, deer, and elk...and probably not more than 300 yards out. I know that's not "Long Range Hunting", but it's the best I can comfortably do right now. Any input or advice you may have is much appreciated, probably going to "pull the trigger" on this order in the next couple days. :D

Thanks!

I wouldn't skimp on rings/rail if you're going to spend a good coin on the scope. I went with Larue on my model 700.

What do you gain by leaving the Burris Signatures? To me, nothing. The only scope I have mounted in something other than Signatures is the scope on my ultralight rifle. The Talley one piece is two and a half ounces lighter than the Signatures.

Sending more gets you ring marks.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.