Vortex Viper 6.5-20 vs SWFA SS 20x

BW64

The Viper BDC reticle or the SWFA MOA Quad?? Help me decide. Going on a Savage 111 7mag for hun ting in Nevada.

BW

I had a SS fixed 20x and sold it last year. It was not clear. I replaced it with a 6.5-20 viper. It was much better on 20x. I sold it and replaced it with Mark 4. I still have a SS fixed 12x. It's very clear.

While the SS has better glass the zero-stop and tracking are good features on the vortex viper the Vortex would be my pick mainly because I can dial back the magnification if the mirage is bad.
The vortex viper 6.5-20 does not have a zero stop. It has spring loaded resettable capped turrets but that is it. However, mine has tracked very well and I have made 1 shot kills on over 25 big game animals ranging from 300-925 yards, dialing for elevation and windage for every shot. I have had it for nearly 4 years now, and not a single problem with it. MUCH better for hunting than a fixed 20x. If those two were my choices for hunting, without question I would go with the Vortex.

At 72 my eyes are kind of worn out so 10x leaves me a little short. :)

BW
With all due respect, that's BS!
It is so much harder to focus 20x. The depth of field is hard to deal with, any mirage will kill your chances, and field of view is too limited. I can remember going through this with my dad and his friends now I'm 68 and I go through this with my shooting buddies. 14x max in the field for ease of focus and turn back to 12x or even 10x when needed. You'll gather better light too. Just try it. I spend 100's of hours each year in prairie dog towns looking through scopes and I know this is true.

I agree with everyone above on this...hunting scope you always want to have the option to use less magnification...not saying you have to but to have the option is a must for me. You never know what can happen when youre hunting, you might have a 50 yard shot on trophy of a lifetime and at 20x you probably wont be able to focus quick enough and if you do you wont know what part of the animal your crosshairs are on!!...Viper hands down in this situation.

If you're having a hard time with vision I would personally spend the money on clarity not magnification.

I'm worried about a 6-24 being unusable for spot and stalk because of the fov at 100 yards. I can't imagine off handing a 10+ At 75 yards with an elevated heart beat

Thanks for all the replies. I decided on the Vortex Viper. Looked through one at Sportsman's today & that sealed it. Got it at Natchez Shooters for 10% off.

BW

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.