Vortex Razor vs. SWFA SS

bushido23

So I am looking for a good optic that can get me to 1000 yrds, I'm looking for FFP under $2k. I've narrowed it down the Vortex Razon HD 5-20x50mm and the SWFA SS 5-20x50mm (non-illuminated).

I have a coupon for one of the online sites where I can get 12% off of anything. This means that I can get the Vortex for $1759. Unfortunately, SWFA is the only reseller of the SS scope, and they haven't been on sale since the Facebook special last year. I can get the non-illuminated for $1300.

So:

Vortex Razon HD - $1759
SWFA SS - $1300.

I've read more positive things about the Vortex, but is it worth the extra $450?

Thoughts?

Paul

I cant compare the two because I have no experience with SWFA but I do have a Vortex on a 308win and the scope seems to be very solid. It has held it's zero even after a friend accidentally dropped my rifle. I also can say that it has tracked flawlessly every time and returned to zero no problem. I have never had to use it but I also hear that their customer service is very good. So Vortex would be my vote but Im sure there are people on the site that has experience with both. Good luck on making your decision.:rolleyes:

The Razor comes in Moa or Mil. The SWFA only comes in Mil. They only make Moa in their fixed powered scopes. I don't know if this makes a difference to you...dgarrett

I was going to go mil/mil anyways, so that isn't a factor for me.

From a characteristic standpoint, they both everything I'm looking for. I've heard the illumination implementation on the SS isn't very good which is why I'm choosing not to go in that direction. I'm not sure how good it is in the Vortex. Not a big deal for me either way.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.