Vortex Turrets Not Tracking Accurately

Reload10

Had my Vortex 6.5-20x44 out to ~1k with my RRA 308 gas gun. Noticed the minutes dialed did not correspond with actual bullet impacts.

So today, I shot it at 100 yards and printed a <.75 minute 6 shot group. Then I dialed 12 minutes left and POI was 14" left. Dialed 24 minutes up and POI was 28" high.

Do you think Vortex will take care of this even though the scope is discontinued?

Had my Vortex 6.5-20x44 out to ~1k with my RRA 308 gas gun. Noticed the minutes dialed did not correspond with actual bullet impacts.

So today, I shot it at 100 yards and printed a <.75 minute 6 shot group. Then I dialed 12 minutes left and POI was 14" left. Dialed 24 minutes up and POI was 28" high.

Do you think Vortex will take care of this even though the scope is discontinued?
Vortex will take care of you. Even if they have to replace it. I had one that I accidently over tightened and they sent me a new one no questions asked

Maybe I should through it against a rock wall and send it in to guarantee I don't get the same scope back haha.

I'm going to try a tracking test on a steel mount. I have lots of 2x2 steel square and will make something very similar to targets USA scope tracking rest.

If the 24 MOA dialed wasn't 28" I would think it was me as well. That should have been 25" and I don't think I missed by a 3" margin. Don't get me wrong, it could have been me. But every other test I've done with a different scope and different rifle produced much better results.

You can do any additional tracking test to verify how much is the scope and or shooter, we calibrate all of the scopes we mount and others from folks that want to know. It doesn't make any difference if its a Night Force, Vortex, Schmidt Bender or others they all will vary from one to the other and need some correction factor adjustment to the ballistics program due to the aggressiveness in how the threads were cut on the turrets especially if you start pushing your system out into the ELR distances.

Everyone has their own idea of tracking
We lock the scope down on a picatinny rail mounted solid to a base table that does not move and graph the travel of the reticle/ turret adjustments compared to a 42" ruler marked and measured with a caliper for accuracy thats mounted and plumbed vertical on a wall at a true measured 300 feet - 100 yards. Then calibrate the offsets with what ever ballistics programs being used.

Good luck

Thanks for the replies. I talked with Travis from Vortex and he thinks it's a parallax issue. I set diopters to the best of my ability against the sky, and always set parallax to get a crisp image at the distance I'm shooting.

He said the correct way to set parallax is to adjust it so that when you move you head side to side, the reticle doesn't move off POA. I'm going to remount and try that and see what it achieves. Still going to make a scope testing mount to test my other optics.

Also FYI- He said Vortex should be within 1 click out of 100. So I'll keep that in mind by dialing 25 MOA and seeing if it's withing 0.25 MOA

Something to be very aware of when doing this sort of "Box Test" or "Tall Target Test" is the true distance between the scope and the target. It maakes a difference on the outcome.

Since this is a "long range" forum I would hope everyone has an accurate rangefinder.

Thanks for the replies. I talked with Travis from Vortex and he thinks it's a parallax issue. I set diopters to the best of my ability against the sky, and always set parallax to get a crisp image at the distance I'm shooting.

He said the correct way to set parallax is to adjust it so that when you move you head side to side, the reticle doesn't move off POA. I'm going to remount and try that and see what it achieves. Still going to make a scope testing mount to test my other optics.

Also FYI- He said Vortex should be within 1 click out of 100. So I'll keep that in mind by dialing 25 MOA and seeing if it's withing 0.25 MOA
I wouldn't take the Vortex reps' word for it. I would just send it back. I had a rep from another company tell me my ocular focus wasn't moving because the grease froze up and I should just force it and it will break loose. I told him I would rather not, and for 700$ I shouldn't have to. I dumped that scope as soon as it got back.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.