Vortex Diamondback tactical scopes

Wolfdog91

Never really see them much on the used market,what gives ? Are they that good no one wants to seel them or is no one really buying them to begin with. Figured it would be hard to find some of the used lower prices ones like these but nope, seems to be the same with SWFA's now days
Screenshot_20231104-100912.png

Screenshot_20231104-095826.png

I have been extremely happy or disappointed with lower tier Vortex optics. I suggest checking these out in poor light conditions.

The 4-12X40 does not have a parallax focus.

The 4-16X44 is a first focal plane scope, at 4X the reticle & its features become tiny. An illuminated reticle makes it much easier to see reticle features in poor light, does that scope have an illuminated reticle?

I am not about to condemn anything I have not actually used. I am extremely happy with my Diamondback HD binoculars.

The Vortex warranty is exceptionally good - quick & easy response & fix.

I think you will find enthusiasts are the folks with a constant state of churn of products through their hands to try.

Optics below $500 are rarely touched by these folks because they know they are not going to be happy with them.

I think it is similar to why you don't see us talking about Green Mountain barrels much either! ..although my 22 barrel isnt bad!

I suspect these are mostly bought by folks "giving it a try". Ruger American + Vortex Diamondback Tactical + cheap 6.5 Creedmoor is good to 1000, right? When this doesn't work out, I think these rigs go to the back of the safe or the pawn shop.

I currently have a Diamondback Tactical 4-16 FFP on my range gun ( Savage Model 12 LRPV ). I`ve been very satisfied with its performance. Tracks well. Adjusts POI as it should. Shooting at 500 yards.

You know now that you say it like that that makes a lot of sense ! I know when I'm over on accurate shooter all I see is stuff like March ,metoba, I mean honestly I never knew what alot of those companies where , used to think Nightforce was like king then o go over there and a $1500 night force is counted as a budget scope lol !

Then here I see a lot of Schmitt and bender,night force Burris and similar being constantly traded.

Then on my trapping or bullet casting forums it's mainly Leupold's and other more ", traditional stuff"
Interesting how that works

You know now that you say it like that that makes a lot of sense ! I know when I'm over on accurate shooter all I see is stuff like March ,metoba, I mean honestly I never knew what alot of those companies where , used to think Nightforce was like king then o go over there and a $1500 night force is counted as a budget scope lol !

Then here I see a lot of Schmitt and bender,night force Burris and similar being constantly traded.

Then on my trapping or bullet casting forums it's mainly Leupold's and other more ", traditional stuff"
Interesting how that works
I saw it mentioned maybe here or somewhere else but back in the days before internet you only knew what the circle of people you were around used for the most part. So the Leupold guys stuck to themselves and the benchrest guys did their thing for example. Looking back I found that to be true of most things but especially the shooting/hunting related stuff. Very rarely can I remember someone buying something outside of the group norms until information was so freely shared as it is these days.

Never really see them much on the used market,what gives ? Are they that good no one wants to seel them or is no one really buying them to begin with. Figured it would be hard to find some of the used lower prices ones like these but nope, seems to be the same with SWFA's now days
View attachment 507770

View attachment 507772
I suspect is is that folks are happy with them.
The following stats came from the expertvoice.com website (where if you can meet the requirements, you can get a 40% discount on any Vortex product).
325 reviewers gave the 4-16x44 a rating of 4.8 out of 5.
89 gave the 4-12x40 a rating of 49 out of 5.
I have bought 4 rifle scopes and a spotting scope from them. The Vortex lifetime no BS warrenty applies.

I currently have a Diamondback Tactical 4-16 FFP on my range gun ( Savage Model 12 LRPV ). I`ve been very satisfied with its performance. Tracks well. Adjusts POI as it should. Shooting at 500 yards.
To better help us out, as you compare it to scopes you find "better", where do it's weaknesses show first?

I have owned the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4x-16x-44 scope. I paid $320 or so for mine before tax. It was a scope purchased primarily because of available funds and application for me. I needed a lower cost decent scope and this one fit the bill.

Glass is okay, but not as good as the PST Gen2 line or even the Strike Eagle line (I have had all three simultaneously). I spent some time in low light comparing all of my scopes to determine which gave the best low light performance. It was not the Diamondback Tactical.

Turrets on my scope we're mushy and not tactile in terms of positive clicks.

Reticle is not illuminated and as a FFP scope that can be an issue for some (including me) in low light close range dark timber hunting scenarios.

There is not a zero stop either which I prefer.

Otherwise for the money it is a decent scope.

My scope left my possession when I sold a gun that it was mounted on. Likely would go with another choice in the future for a similar optic.

To better help us out, as you compare it to scopes you find "better", where do it's weaknesses show first?
I`ve only been shooting rifles for two years so I`m not one who can really comment on this. Wish I could. I don`t have experience with a " better " , more expensive scope. Just commenting that this one is doing a good job for me. Low light performance isn`t an issue because it`s on a range only gun. I don`t find the turrets on mine to be what I would call " mushy " . Clicks are well defined.

Last edited:

Recent Posts