Tactical scopes

Ozarktrapper

I am searching to educate myself on adjustable scopes-elev/wind etc. I've been a leupold believer for a long time, and recently picked up a t/c encore. 300win, 22-250 @ am ordering a 6.8 rem SPC. I'm looking hard @ the vx series & am leaning toward the vx 6. I'm old school and have had 3x9 vx2 and fx4 leupolds. Had a Carl Gustav 270win & with my old 3x9, could shoot sub MOA. Almost 1/2 MOA. Although I've been shooting/hunting for almost 40 years, & am not the " village idiot" about the subject, I realize I'm green as a gourd with tactical shooting. Does someone have advise on good resources to help me learn. Any help is much appreciated
Thx Tom

Tom welcome to the site. When I started learning the Tac thing I was using a VXIII 6.5-20x40 Leupold that had moa knobs with a mil-dot reticle. I was a little lost on how to use the reticle. 1 day a new shooting buddy was kind enough to invite me to shoot with him at his home where he would school me in how to use these types of scopes. By the end of the day I was ranging targets with the reticle and getting within a few yards. Happy, happy, happy.:) I have now gratuated to Mil-Mil scopes. I've googled and read some here on the net, decent info, but nothing better then having someone work with you FTF. Whatever you do make sure the scope is either Moa-Moa or Mil-Mil. I believe there is a shooting program you can find on the computer and play around with, I can't remember the site rightnow, if I find it I'll let you know.

Matching turrets and reticles is great advice (mil or MOA, not mil and MOA).

Here is a ballistics calc to play with:
JBM - Calculations - Trajectory

Nightforce makes a great tactical scope. So does S&B (maybe the best) but they are spendy. Take a good look at the higher-end Vortex scopes, I have not shot one but they are getting good reviews.

IMO, comparing a Leupy to a Sooper Sniper is like looking through a sheet of waxed paper (Sooper Sniper) versus a Leupy.

I'm not into waxed paper myself.

We still have yet to hear a price range and just putting plenty of options out there. I liked Lupey but it seems they have slipped a bit in the past couple years. And your paying more for a name. NOT saying they are a bad scope just seems you are getting less for your money then you use to. And yes I understand that you get what you pay for. But SS HD line has very good glass. on par with lupey. Most likely made in the same factory. But then again throwing anything in with S&B talk about wax paper.

I agree, in part. Leupold is overpriced across the board. I have a few older ones that are tits.

I think Leupold is following Trigicon's lead in pricing so I'd be buying something else, just not a Sooper Sniper. Certainly not a Trigicon, absurdly priced for a run of the mill optic.

Tactical is a bad term anyway. Should be 'Tacticool'. Any scope with high turrets, side parallelax, a forgiving eye box and resettable zero will do and glass is in the eye of the user, no one else.

My take on buying any scope is go to one of the large retail houses like Cabelas or Gander Mountain ands look through many scopes. Check the reticle's, check the eye box, check the weight, check the clarity and then make an educated choice, not a choice based on someone else's opinion.

Because other's opinions mean nothing. It's what you are comfortable with.

Case in point. I've lusted for a pair of Kennetrecs for years but I won't buy a pair of hunting boots (or anything else for that matter) without trying them on or in the case of an optic or bino's or firearm, without having one in my hands to inspect.

Thats why I have 2 pair of Meindl's. I can go try them on and makes sure they fit. Same applies to optics or anythiung else for that matter.

So 'take a test drive' and then order online.

try this link. will teach you the difference between MIl and MOA, and how to use them.
you have practice shooting and engaging target at different distance.
it's pretty close with what you will see through the scope.
The website is foing a pretty good job on getting familiar with tactical shooting and tactical scopes and how to engage targets with taxtical reticle (MOA or MIL)

ShooterReady

choose MOA scope because is eazy to do the math without the calculator on field.

Example:
Assuming a big Muley buck is 20" back to belly, and he covers 4 minutes in the scope........

20/4 = 5, or 500 yds.

Then minus the 5% and he is 475 yds away.

Very simple, very intuitive and very quick.
He's really 477 yds away, but 475 does the trick.

I agree, in part. Leupold is overpriced across the board. I have a few older ones that are tits.

I think Leupold is following Trigicon's lead in pricing so I'd be buying something else, just not a Sooper Sniper. Certainly not a Trigicon, absurdly priced for a run of the mill optic.

Tactical is a bad term anyway. Should be 'Tacticool'. Any scope with high turrets, side parallelax, a forgiving eye box and resettable zero will do and glass is in the eye of the user, no one else.

My take on buying any scope is go to one of the large retail houses like Cabelas or Gander Mountain ands look through many scopes. Check the reticle's, check the eye box, check the weight, check the clarity and then make an educated choice, not a choice based on someone else's opinion.

Because other's opinions mean nothing. It's what you are comfortable with.

Case in point. I've lusted for a pair of Kennetrecs for years but I won't buy a pair of hunting boots (or anything else for that matter) without trying them on or in the case of an optic or bino's or firearm, without having one in my hands to inspect.

Thats why I have 2 pair of Meindl's. I can go try them on and makes sure they fit. Same applies to optics or anythiung else for that matter.

So 'take a test drive' and then order online.

+1

I agree. try before you buy. And in the end YOU have to live with it, not anyone else.

I have a SS 5-20x50 on a full custom 338 Norma and it is on par with my Mark 4 Leupy. I favor later for gap TMR reticle and I had to put a throw ring on SS because power is stiff, but glass is good, I favor 5x on SS over Leo 6.5. Wish someone had a March 3.5x24 x42 for a steal to try one

I'd rather try them in the field side by side, and not in the store. I have 2 older Leupold's that have good glass, a 3rd I sold. The Mark 4 are not that great next to my SS.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.