Scopes

I have often wondered about the scopes on these long range rifles-I see 1200-2500 scope on some, and 400-600 dollars scope for others? Is there that much difference in clairty?

is it worth 2-3x the money though? Genuine question, not trying to pick a fight at all!!

Several years ago I hunted with a marlin 30-30 and always thought to myself "no need for an $800 kimber" but I was alway curious about the higher end rifles-I was always bringing home meat with my $200 pawn shop Marlin with the $50 Tasco scope-yes this was several years ago...

Bought my first kimber montana and the light bulb went on!! Now I have a safe full of toys that do the same job my old Marlin does...but it took me a long time to get comfortable spending the money-guess it is a "me thing" ;)

I will get there soon with the glass I am sure-Daughter and I are starting to slide into long range shooting and i am sure upgrades will be coming once we get decent at it ;)

I hear ya and understand exactly what you are saying. I was there once as well. I thought my Vortex PST was the right scope for the job and no one was going to talk me out of it. Then by a pure stroke of luck I came into a little money and was able to buy my dream rifle with a Nightforce scope on it. Once I started using the Nightforce I totally understood the difference. It is a big jump in money and for some it may not be worth i,t but if your going to shoot at 1000 yards plus and want to be accurate there is no comparison between the 400-600 dollar scopes and the 1500-3000 dollar ones.

Take your realistic budget, and double it. Save every penny, even if it means waiting another 6 months to a year.

The high end Alpha glass IS worth it for long range.
Tangent Theta
ZCO
Schmidt & Bender PMII
Kahles
Minox ZP5
NF ATACR F1
March FX (High Master glass)

Make sure you get high quality rings to attach that good glass to the rifle.
ARC M10
Spuhr
Seekins
Hawkins
NF

Last edited:
As others have said, buy as much as your budget allows. You'll never regret it.
That said, be patient and scour the classifieds here to find deals.
If you want to work up to the more expensive glass, Bushnell Elite are great budget minded scopes that seem to do very well, and I'm sure there are others.

I have often wondered about the scopes on these long range rifles-I see 1200-2500 scope on some, and 400-600 dollars scope for others? Is there that much difference in clairty?
There isn't a huge difference in "clarity" between some of the scopes in those price ranges. The glass in a NXS isn't anything to rave about vs even some 300.00 scopes. The difference is the NF actually works like it's supposed to, RTZ and track and will continue to function properly even after thousands of turret revs.

I'm going to take some heat here, I'll bet!

There is true alpha level glass out there like ZCO, Tangent and others. They are probably amazing In all ways…..but since I'm using that money to buy gas, it won't go to these optics.

There is also very high quality $1000 pieces of glass. I have a couple of Vortex PST Gen2's 5-25x and 3-15x. They are trouble free, clear, great reticles and easy to use. The adjustments all check out on a tall target both looking and actually shooting them. I also have a Tract 4-20x that is just a hair better optically and has great locking turrets. Understand the Tract is $300-$500 more expensive.

I also have a SWFA SS 3-15x….with no zero stop and no illumination, it is a darn good optic, but with less features. It retails for $599.

Unmentioned has been the Nightforce optics which I believe to be near alpha performance, but with a rock solid prove military track record. The seem to fill the $1900-$3300 price range. If I come into some money, I'll be spending it on Nightforce.

I guess I'm saying that the relationship between price on the x axis and more better-ness on the y axis, the curve will be very logarithmic. Meaning you can Spend 10x more to get a little better performance.