scopes?

jasonstewart

i would like to receive as many opinions as possible to this. i have recently started shooting long range. i have a 300 win mag winchester model 70 laredo lrh. i have a leupold vari-x iii 3.5x10x50ao on it now. it has a heavy duplex reticle. i also have a vari-xiii 6.5x20x40ao with a fine duplex reticle sitting in the closet on a 30-06. my question is whether i should use one of these scopes or purchase a super sniper, bushnell elite tactical, burris tactical, etc... both of my leupolds have a 1" tube. i want to start shooting 1000 yards, but the heavy duplex holds me back. it obstucts the sight picture at that distance. how much difference is there between the 40mm and 50mm objectives that i have. i dont really see that much difference between them when set the same as far as light transmission and paralax are concerned. any information would be great. i can afford about $800 for a new scope if this is necessary. thanks, jason stewart

well, i have started off with the bushnell elite 3200 10x40 mil dot. its under 200 dollars, and has target turrets that work exceptionally well. i have shot out to 735 y on a 14 in steel disk and its plenty of magnification for that even. i plan to shoot 1k y with it in the future, but for the money its completely reliable and worth it!

As you have noticed, the heavy duplex reticle is a bit heavy, and rough, the fine cross hairs are just the opposite, fine enough for target shooting, but hard for target aquisition if you plan to do any low-light shooting.

A better crosshair would be Leupold's TMR Reticle, or something similar. The Adjustable Objective is better for adjusting paralax, but with the heavy cross hairs that you have, and no elevation adjustments, you have a rough road ahead of you. There is just no point of reference for you to shoot at 1000.

I have no personal experience with the SS, but from everything i have heard, they are a reputable scope. Possible input from others with that scope would be better.

Hope this gives you a start.

I'd use the 6.5x20 and see how it worked. I used one of those for a while on a 7mm Rem Mag and had no problem seeing the reticle. It is a bit tough to dial elevatioin unless you upgrade the turret.

AJ

I use on one of my rifles a Leupold that has not parallax adjustment with the Burris Insert Rings to get 20 MOA and I installed an after market turret on it and it works good to 1000 yards +

stoney point used to make turrets that would interchange with the factory knobs. they work very good. i have a set that i used for a while. if you're only shooting to 1k they will work well. i still have them, like new condition, will ship them to you, if conus, for $40.

i would like to receive as many opinions as possible to this. i have recently started shooting long range. i have a 300 win mag winchester model 70 laredo lrh. i have a leupold vari-x iii 3.5x10x50ao on it now. it has a heavy duplex reticle. i also have a vari-xiii 6.5x20x40ao with a fine duplex reticle sitting in the closet on a 30-06. my question is whether i should use one of these scopes or purchase a super sniper, bushnell elite tactical, burris tactical, etc...

Send one of those to the leupold custom shop and have them change the reticle and add some turrets. Either a traditional Mil-Dot setup or the TMR would be and outstanding reticle choice.

i dont really see that much difference between them when set the same as far as light transmission and paralax are concerned. any information would be great. i can afford about $800 for a new scope if this is necessary. thanks, jason stewart

Objective size is highly over-rated! I have scopes with both 40 and 50 mm objectives and it is all about glass quality not size. If you want good light transmission you will need to pay for the glass. I'm not saying that leupold doesn't have decent glass but I am saying that their are others out there that are much better. It sort of falls like this:

Good:
Burris XTS
Bushnell elite/3200/etc....
Super Sniper
Falcon Menace

Better:
Nikon Monarchs
Leupold (VXIII and up)

Best:
Zeiss
Sightron (SIII's and Big skys)
Nightforce
Schmidt & Bender
Swarovski
IOR
Khales

Now this list is simply stating glass quality not overall quality or value. But it gets my point across. You have a quality scope in the VXIII and I would just have it redone at the custom shop. However if you are looking to upgrade I would look at sightron. Best bang for the buck in my opinion; plus it sits in your price range.

My list would have to be something like this....

Absolute Best - Schmidt & Bender
Second Place (but not by much!)-US Optics
Third - NightForce
Fourth - Leupold

Leupold has more options than any other "over the counter" scope manufacture, and thier glass is very good. The top two have great glass, but boy does it cost, around $3600 for S & B, with US Optics having glass that costs that also, but with quite a bit more affordable too.

I personaly don't think Zeiss or Swaro scopes are durable enough to be listed with these others, but haven't had the chance to take any of thier offerings in the woods or field, just some surveys I've read, and experiences of others. They break.

I suppose if you have a safe queen, they would work fine, I take mine to the field and use them.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.