Bushnell Scopes

Scol

I've just ordered a Savage 112BVSS in 7mm Rem Mag (for deer above the bush line) and am currently choosing a scope for it. I know there is quite a following out there for the Bushnell 3200 10x40 Tactical as a starter's LR scope but am concerned about the loss of versatility for the shorter range shots which may present themselves en-route to my set-up location. I'm contemplating a Bushnell 3200 3-9x40 with the new firefly reticle. Is this scope too limiting for shots out to 700 yards? How important are target turrets? Has anyone tried out the new firefly reticle? My budget is up to US$300.

This is my first posting and I'd really appreciate any advice you guys could offer.

I love the elite 3200 10X because of the amount of adjustment and target turrents. The 3200 3X9 does not have turrents and the turrents are not easily found anymore.

You will have no issue seeing your target from 100yds out to whatever with that 10X.

I suggest you go the 10X route. It really is that good...

Jerry

Scol,
I don't own either scope but I have done load development for a buddy who had a 3x9x40 3200 Firefly on a .300WSM A-bolt. To tell you the truth I am not as impressed with the scope as much as he is. Almost everytime I pulled the trigger the darn thing wanted to smack me in the forehead. I'm used to Leupolds with their long eye reliefs, especially for magnums. I just don't see the benefit of having a lit or bright reticle between me and my target during dim light. My honest opinion, Johnny K.

Thanks for the replies guys.

johnny k,

Do you think short eye relief a feature of Bushnell 3200s or just the firefly reticle? I noticed that the firefly scope uses a different sized Butler Creek flip up cap on the eye piece than the regular Bushnell 3200 3x9-40, suggesting a different lense housing. If Bushnell made a 3200 variable with target turrets I'd buy it in a flash. As it is I'm still tossing up.

Scol
The turrets are pretty important unless you are going to use some type of marked reticle. It is pretty hard to judge hold over or adjust for it without one of these systems. I'd look for a used Leupold VX-II or VX-III with the right price and magnification. Then send it to the Leupold custom shop and have a Elevation target turret installed for about $65. Tough price cap but possible.

[ 06-03-2004: Message edited by: Birdshooter ]

I just noticed SWFA have the Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 Tactical for $315. Probably hard to beat for a new variable with target turrets in that price range.

Scol, Optically the Elite might just be better then the VX-II. The Elite will have double the elevation adjustment. Important if you want to reach out. The Elite is half the cost.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,
Good point about the price! Probably brighter, being a fixed power, than a variable on 10x too. I might just go walk-about this weekend with one of my 3-9 variable fixed at 9x to get an idea of any field of view limitations. I'm sure that for shots over 100 yards (which of course is the objective of this rig) the Bushnell 3200 10x40 Tactical is hard to beat for the money. My only fixed power scopes in the past have been 4x and you know what they say about old habits.

Thanks again for the help guys,
I decided to take Birdshooter's advice and just bought a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x50 Tactical on ebay for $356. So much for budgets! Who was it that said "no one ever regretted buying quality"?

Rifle is ordered, scope purchased, rangefinder (Leica 1200) ordered... Just need a good set of mounts (I'm thinking Burris Signature Series with the offset inserts) and a Harris bipod. Then it's time for LR Bambi burgers (all year hunting in NZ, the government considers them pests
confused.gif
).

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts