Bushnell Elite 10x40

earplay

Hi there,

I am a Kiwi (New Zealand) just starting out in the long range game. I have been browsing this forum for a while and gleaning plenty of good info. I am setting up a Rem 700 in .308 for my first build, basically hoping to hone my skills and eventually use it on deer. Ideal range (eventually) would be max 700 yards.

As I am on a tight budget, I am wondering if a fixed 10 power scope such as the Bushnell would be a good option. I have another rifle setup for close bush hunting, so only envision shooting 100 yards plus. I figure if I get something basic that will work, then upgrade later if I am shooting a lot more or needing more options. Sound logical?

Cheers,

Matt

Welcome to LRH. The 3200 Elite is a good scope, but I like to have some adjustment. If I may, I would also suggest the Meuller Tactical, Redfield 4-12, and the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40. The are all very good scopes with glass that would be a little better than the Bushnell. I really like the Meuller and Nikon. I have used both and own the Nikon. Great glass for the money. Redfield scopes are owned by Leupold now and have heard good things. Any of these scopes including the 3200 would be a great option.

Tank

Hey thanks for the reply, I own one of the new Redfields and think it´s great. Just they don't feature dialable turrets as far as I know.

The Nikons do seem to get a lot of good press. I looked through one of the new Bushnell Elites the other day, seem really clear. Apparently the optics are superior to the 3200/4200 range that they have replaced. Now argon purged and with a new coating as I understand it.

I have actually picked up a cheap Millett but am thinking I may sell on (can make a small profit) and go to the Nikon, or one of the higher Bushnells.

How critical is high magnification for long range shooting? I thought it was really important but some people reckon that clarity is more important. I´m probably looking at spending $400US max.

Magnification is a matter of personal preference. Some on here will tell you that 10x is plenty for deer size game, and others will tell you 25x isn't enough. I personally like the 20x-25x range and more if I can afford it. I like to see what I'm aiming at and where the cross hairs are exactly on the body. I do varmint hunting so the high power is essential. The 14x on the Buckmaster let me see groundhogs at 1000yds, but when I put the reticule on the critter it would get buried in the reticule. I couldn't see exactly where I was aiming on the animal. The lower power you chose to go with the more important it is to have the best glass you can afford. That way at 10x its as clear as it can be. Where as if you have higher power options, then that will make up for good glass or marginal glass. The ones I have suggested I think offer some of the best glass in the affordability department.

I then went to the Buckmaster 6-18x40 w/ a target dot. That worked a lot better for distances that far on little varmints. I now use a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 which I absolutely love. If you have a $400 US dollar limit, I highly suggest looking into the Vortex Viper line of scopes. You may want to look into the Falcon Menace also. Check this sight out: SWFA Riflescopes

They have some pretty good deals on scopes and also offer you a very good selection of different manufacturers. I have bought a few things from them and they are good to deal with. The Weaver Grand Slam would also be a good one to consider.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.