Video: long range kills - 6.5-284s

Cartridge Clash: 6.5-.284 Norma vs 6.5 PRC
(The 6.5 PRC ammo is easier to find. And it holds a couple more grains of powder than the Norma.)
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/6.5-.284-norma-vs-6.5-prc/307816#
I read this article when it came out. It's a very slanted comparison. They used short chamber, dated comparisons using short chamber load data for the 6.5x284 to contemporary 6.5x284 hand-loads used in the PRC case. The case capacity is just about identical beteeen the two cartridges with a slight increase going to the 6.5x284 and recoil differences with comparable loads is nil. The major difference between the two besides the availability of factory ammo that duplicates. 6.5x284 handloads are the major advertising revenues the magszine receives from Hornady! Surely not knocking the PRC, but shooters should be given the straight scoop.

Last edited:
I have 2 6.5x284's, a hunting rig and a 30" barreled heavy rig, both built by myself on Savage actions. I am getting 3100fps with a 140gr or 142gr Sierra's and it kills like lighting. 500 yds is a cake walk and not hard at all if you have a few seconds to get on target. Both these guns will shoot into the low .300's at 100yds, and half MOA out to 1100yds, if I can dope the wind.

I had my 6.5-284 built by the Savage custom shop. It has a medium profile fluted barrel and is set into an Accufit/Accustock. I wanted a bit more horsepower than my 6.5 X 47 so after doing some research, I settled on the Norma (barrel life horror stories be damned). The gun's a tank and I only hunt with it prone or off of my Dead-Shot tripod, but I really like it for crop damage duty across the soy-bean fields. I'm currenlty using a 130 Accubond on 52.3 grains of IMR 4831sc. The shots in the video are quite impressive and above my paygrade (for now). I'm hitting at 400 and that's "Long Range" for me. Someday, I'd like to have an opportunity to reach out a bit more.

26-Nosler-Comparison.jpg
I've talked to the best of the west crew and they favor retumbo powder and heavy like they use in the 7mm's that they shoot !

I have the 6.5X284 that I just screwed a new barrel on. I only have 30 rounds down the pipe but it is shooting good.

First day I ran it out to 600yds!

I did a quick edit on the photos as we were leaving port on a 7 day cruise through the Caribbean so bare with the edits.
2019-03-09 12.26.29.jpg

2019-03-09 12.27.26.jpg

Both shots were first shot dial ups off JBM Ballistic Calculator . The glasses were used for scale of the steel plates. They look pretty funny after I took the pics and looked at them later.

Those two were my last two shots for the day!

Best of the West
Quick Long Range Kills
6.5-284 Norma

I love that round. It's at the top of my 6.5s. My wife has killed 3 elk and a deer with hers in the last 3 years. She just stared hunting so I hooked her up with the same rifle my son started with.
we have 3 of them

Just watched that video - it's not the cartridge, it's the scope! magical dials on that turret. If during the course of a year, the owner hunts at elevations of 600 - 700 feet, 4000-6000 ft, 7500-9500 ft, and 14000-16000 ft, do you need 4 different turrets?

I just love my 6.5 x .284 Norma. I have one in a hunter 16/116 weather warrior and I use a 30 " Savage 12 on the Benchrest shoots . It was easy to do load development and they shoot. My free advice is to keep them clean , carbon build up can be a problem for accuracy in my bench rifle . I question doing a 1000+ Yard shot on an animal, just me . I think I will stick to my 30-338 and the heavy pills

Just watched that video - it's not the cartridge, it's the scope! magical dials on that turret. If during the course of a year, the owner hunts at elevations of 600 - 700 feet, 4000-6000 ft, 7500-9500 ft, and 14000-16000 ft, do you need 4 different turrets?
Yes, if you dial yardages. They also supply an MOA turret that you can use a ballistic calculator and simply dial elevation corrections. An alternative is to use G7 RF that will read the environment conditions and range giving you a corrected yardage to dial. I purchased a Custom Target Tape that includes an MOA scale at the bottom of the turret and a yardage scale for my primary hunting area above. I have been using two Huskemaws for 8 years with excellent results!!! Nice scope for the $$$. Furthest shot in an antelope with this scope on my 6.5x284 was 1188 yards.

I have a 6.5 x 284 Norma and it is very accurate flat shooting. But I will not use it on anything bigger than a Mully. I will take them out to 1k with it and have. It takes practice the rifle can't do it by its self. People that spend a lot on a rifle can't think that's all you need to shoot long. That gives Long range hunting a bad rep.

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum but really enjoy the topics and conversation. I just purchased a used Best of the West 6.5x284 this last October. Very impressed with the accuracy of this rifle. After trying every powder I have including RL-26, I settled with 57 gr. of Retumbo behind a 140 Berger VLD. RL 26 gave me a little more speed but not as accurate. Speeds around 3000 fps. with Retumbo.

One thing I'd like to add about my 6.5-284 experience was that in doing research before I bought it, I remember having read something to the effect that throat dimensions can vary and that there was (at one time at least) some ambiguity about this. When I got my custom Savage, I was at first a little disappointed at how seemingly "short" the throat was when checking CBTO with the 143 ELD-X, which I was going to use in the rifle - it was seated really deep in the case. That's kind of why I chose to do my load development with the 130 Accubond, which seated at a much more reasonable depth to the lands. I was going to have a gunsmith "relax" the throat a bit but decided to just use the Accubond, as it's plenty for whitetail or anything else I hunt around here. I'm sure I can work something out with the ELD-X too but will wait until I'm going after something big enough (or far enough away) to warrant the endeavor.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.