Very strange ladder tests

A couple weeks ago I shot a 3 shot group with my 30-28 that all 3 were shots were 3122 fps but the group was 1.25 at 100 was that a node?

Working up loads for my grandsons Kimber 84M in 7-08. Once fired Lapua brass FL sized and bumped .002. CCI BR2 primers. 140g Nosler Partitions seated .03 off. H4350 powder weighed on a Gem scale. Looking for nodes and can't make heads or tails out of the results. Candidly, I'm not sure I see any nodes at all. Ammo assembled at the same sitting. Ran two tests for confirmation. Anybody experienced this before?

Load. A. B

45.6. 2809 2803
45.8 2820 2826
46.0 2842 2817
46.2 2853 2818
46.4 2856 2838
46.6 2897 2839
46.8 2892 2827
47.0 2879 2913
47.2 2894 2945
47.4 2920 2917
47.6 2894 2887

I don't see any useful data here. Your ES between A and B is wildly different! Why do I say this? Because it sounds like from your description of your reloading practices you are very meticulous. I would not expect to see those spreads. I think your problem might be your jump. Your are to close to the lands and you are getting some pressure spikes. Try jumping 20 thou. I think some of your loads might be jamming and some not, causing the pressure spike. Remember more pressure more speed! Take that out of the equation and you might find more consistent scaling as you move up in powder charge. Once you identify a node then you can mess with seating depth..

Good luck

I probably missed it, but how many rounds are down this barrel?
I would reload and reshoot the ladder. Speed is too different between A and B. Good luck

A couple weeks ago I shot a 3 shot group with my 30-28 that all 3 were shots were 3122 fps but the group was 1.25 at 100 was that a node?
I'm guessing ur trying to bait a chrony junkie?
Lol
I'm confused as to why people no longer shoot targets to develop a load?

No my point is alot of people talk about ES and you need this or that ES for a good load. Well this just proves ES does not mean it's a good load. The paper or target tells the story not a chronograph telling you you have a flat spot or low ES.
A chronograph is a tool not just a single means to a good load.

No my point is alot of people talk about ES and you need this or that ES for a good load. Well this just proves ES does not mean it's a good load. The paper or target tells the story not a chronograph telling you you have a flat spot or low ES.

I've shot these loads before on target and was using the chronograph as a means to see what paper doesn't show. Most showed 1.25 to 1.50 groups. The best was near max at 47.5 or 48.0 at about .75" but the bolt was getting a bit sticky at that level.

I agree, and if u shoot your groups or ladder at extended range, it'll show your flat spots without the chrony

I'd load 5 rds of 47.5, 47.6, & 47.7

Run your test with those three. But run em like fiftybmg suggested. It seems good already @ 47.4 and 47.6 so I'd check in between and 1/10th higher to make sure I didn't miss out on the higher velocity node.

That's what I see, but I am always looking for the higher velocity node anyway. ‍♂️

45.8-46.8 looks like a huge node to me. I'd load 10 at 46.3 and shoot them. See what your SD and ES are. I bet you're good. That said the reason for the variation at the top could be symptom of inconsistent bullet base to ogive. I doubt it'll be much of a problem at the distances he'll be shooting a partition.

I went back and took another look, and I think you may be on to something. Definitely worth a grouping test!

I've used exactly one Gem scale, but it was inconsistent. Apparently that's not uncommon. You may have different powder charges.
I have used a Gempro 250. It began to read inconsistently. I found that out too late and had to pull a bunch of bullets. I bought a new Gempro 300. I have inconsistency problems with it too. I have tried to eliminate breezes and electrical interference as well. Contacted their customer service warrantee people and they said they have a problem with them. They will not replace or repair them and offered a refund with the original receipt. (not gonna happen). So I am saving for a FX-120i scale. I have a good beam scale too, but just like the electronic gadgets.
Might be something to recheck...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.