Very strange problem with my brass.

DartonJager

I just encountered an issue with my brass I've nere seen or heard of and would like to know if anyone acually knows what's causing this problem and if yes how to solve it.
I am reloading for .35 Remington. The reloads are for two marlin 336c lever action rifles Made by Marlin in the mid to late 90's. Both guns are IMHO superbly accurate for LA rifles. With my reloads both deliver MOA accuracy with boring regularity and I don't ever recall a single 100 yard 3-shot group that was larger then 1.3" They both are solid 1.25-1.3" MOA 100 yard rifles with both Hornady and Remington factory ammo.
I have put roughly 150 reloads through each and 20-25 factory with no issues what so ever.
I was making 50 reloads for the upcoming deer season using the ONLY commercially available new brass I can find or have ever found in the last 3 years since I bought both of them sold by Hornady. I have made over 300 reloads for both these guns using Hornady brass with no issues what so ever.

I decided to use new brass this time. I used the same brass prep as I always do and I will list it here.

#1-Under a extemely bright light inspect every new case for any possible defects, of the new bag of 50 found no brass that needed to be junked.
#2-Using Redding FL sizing die FL size all the brass setting the shoulder back 0.001-0.002" I use my Stony Point gauge to measure shoulder length before and after sizing. Again bright light inspection of every piece of brass as I go for any issues.
#3-Resize again using Lee Collet die to eliminate any run out induced by the Redding FLS die's expander ball. I do this because Redding doesn't sell a body only sizing die for 35 Remington. Again bright light inspection of each piece of brass as I go.
#4-De-burr primer flash hole
#5-Uniform Primer pocket depth with K&M tool and battery drill on slowest speed.
#6-Using Lyman VLD tool champher case mouth.
#7-Using undersized bronze bore brush wrapped in 0000 steel wool polish the inside and out of case mouth and inside of case neck.
#8-Clean brass using action cleaner and rag.
#9-CAREFULLY cycle every loaded round through rifle.

I use a PACT digital scale and powder dispenser and set it 0.1 grain under the charge weight and then using my RCBS 1010 scale trickle every charge to exact.
I use a Redding bullet seating die and do not crimp.
My cartridge OAL is measured using my Stony Point gauge from ogive and is 2.166"
The bullet I have used and is the only bullet I have ever used to reload with is Speer Hot Core .358 180 grain Spitzer Soft points.

In the last few months my eye sight has changed and I now have difficulty seeing small intricate details up close, and i don't yet have prescription glasses to correct this issue and are using cheater safety glasses from work that have a 1.5 magnification correction.

Now for my problem.
As I inspected my finished loaded rounds I thought I might have seen a bulge on one side of the case neck at where the base of the bullet rests in the neck about a width of a paper match above the shoulder so imperceptibly small at first I dismissed it as an illusion caused by the light reflecting off the shiny new brass. Then I saw it again on the fifth loaded round.

I then used a 3x hand held magnifier under a very bright light and I would see what I thought was a bulge then it would vanish. No doubt my lack of proper prescription glasses were making seeing clearly difficult. If there was was indeed a bulge in the case neck it was located at the junction of where the base of the bullet rests in the case neck. This bulge is VERY slight and VERY difficult to see and unless you use a very bright light and angle the brass a certain way you will not see it otherwise. I had 8 reloads left from last hunting season and they were reloaded the SAME exact way using the same exact dies, primers, powder and bullets. Under inspection they showed no sign what so ever of any bulge.
I only reloaded six rounds and went to the range to sight in and double check the zeros of our rifles prior to gun season. I took along the last 8 reloads from last season as a test medium.

I shot three of last years loads and they gave me a nice MOA 100 yard group. I shot these first as they were my first shots of the day and I wanted to be sure any poor accuracy would be due more to my fault than the reloads. I then shot all five of the suspect loads and the accuracy was in comparison quite poor. The MOA group confirms no issues with the Rifle, scope, mounts or myself.

I have included a picture of that target.
The group from last years reloads are the bottom left group. I was aiming at the junction of the right side of left orange rectangle and the left horizontal point of the diamond.

For the new reloads I was aiming at the center of the diamond. I went on to shoot my Tikka 300wsm and is shot superbly so I know I wasn't having an ff day at the range.

When I got home I took several pieces of the same brass that had only been primed and resized one each separately using only the Redding FLSD, Lee Collet die and my RCBS FL die then using the redding seating die loaded a bullet in each of the three and sure enough the bulge is still there, so now I am really lost. I didn't want to size any more brass until i asked for some help on figuring this out. I didn't try a different bullet seating die and likely should have now that I think of it as i have 35 Remington bullet seating dies from Redding, RCBS and Lee.

Unless someone suggests other wise I am going to take three new pieces of brass and resize one each using the Redding FL die, the RCBS FL die and the Lee Collet die and then seat a bullet using each of the different bullet seating dies and see what happens.

Anyone ever have this happen to them and if yes did you figure out as to why?
Like I said I have made over 300 reloads using the same exact process, dies, tools, and components and had no issues what so ever so I am at a loss as to why this is happening now.
I tried 6 times to take pictures of the bulge in the brass biut it's so slight its just not showing on the pics from my phone.

Any Ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks,
Art

Attachments

• MARLIN 2019.jpg
    MARLIN 2019.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 167
Last edited:
A guess, and only a guess. I bought some Hornady brass for my 28 and the necks were terrible. They were not a little but a lot thicker on one side than the other. I turned them to match the thin side and then had really thin necks. Ended up scrapping them. You might, and I mean might be able to just size them and then expand the necks with a Sinclair neck expanding mandrel and skip the lee die. I've seen this die do some neat stuff and it is cheap.

If you have a bulge on one side of the neck my guess is the bullets are not being seated straight into the neck.

I would get a Lyman type "M" expander die so the bullets start straight into the neck with just your fingers.

Below is a .223 Lyman type "M" expander, you just bump the case mouth onto second step that's slightly bigger than bullet diameter. This allows the bullet to start straight into the case neck and prevents bullet tilt during seating.

ohIUcpd.png

Below I have seen your problem many times with pistol cases. The type "M" expander insures straight inline seating.

vwgkeH3.jpg

I may have missed it (very thorough write up, by the way!) but I don't see that you TRIMMED these cases at any point in the process. And since they are going in a lever action, I'm assuming you are CRIMPING at the end. Unequal case lengths combined with crimping will leave you with some variations at the end of your reloading process (some tightly crimped rounds, some less so, and some crimped then 'bulged' slightly as the brass is too long and gets forced into the crimp die more than desired.)

I'm just speculating here but you were asking for thoughts/suggestions. I would suggest TRIMMING all cases to equal length and trying again. For what it is worth, I like the LEE Cutter & Lock Stud with the LEE Case Length Gauge system for trimming cases. They will all come out exactly the same length and 'square' to cartridge head.
https://leeprecision.com/cutter-lock-stud.html

It's frustrating when your process worked fine before and now doesn't seem to be producing the same results.

I checked but Forster does not make their benchrest seating die in .35 Remington.

Below the die chamber holds the bullet and case in perfect alignment. That why I mentioned the Lyman type "M" expander because you start the bullet straight into the case neck with just your fingers. This means with a standard seating die the seater plug starts pushing down on a bullet that is already straight and aligned with the case neck.

fuZYDWJ.gif

Learn something every day. I always thought m dies were just made in pistol calibers.

Rifle Neck Expanding M Dies
https://www.lymanproducts.com/rifle-neck-expanding-m-dies

Improves accuracy of cast and jacketed bullet reloads. Doesn't stretch cases as does standard expander button. Extends case life. A "Must-Have" die for the cast bullet or flat-base bullet user.

The first step expands the inside of the case neck to just under bullet diameter for precise case neck tension in the finished reload.

The second step expands the case mouth to bullet diameter or slightly over. This allows the jacketed or cast bullet to be started perfectly centered in the case mouth and properly aligned with the axis of the case neck.

Note: By adjusting the neck expanding plug slightly deeper, the second step also provides a slight flaring of the case mouth for reloaders using cast bullets. Improve your bullet seating for your rifle today with Rifle Neck Expanding M Dies - shop Lyman!

Last edited:
Frogforaday,
You are indeed correct I didn't state if I had trimmed the brass or not becuase I did my prep on this new brass about 5-6 months ago and had a reload sheet with them and in the part where I list if i trimmed or not I had not listed any information as my choices are yes trimmed or no trimmed and I had not checked either so I can not be sure until I measure a few of the still unused buy fully prepped cases.

But what has me perplexed and wondering how the bullets could be seated crooked as I had considered this could be the issue was once I spotted the bulge I used the two other bullet seaters I have one by Lee, the third a RCBS and the original my Redding and still after using the two other bullet seaters the bulge persisted.

Now admittedly I should have done this: I have more Hornady new brass from the same lot# and after a full prep use strictly RCBS, Lee, and Redding dies from start to finish by seating a bullet and see if the bulge still persists in all pieces, then I think it would indicate the brass as the most likely suspect for my problem, and if only in one particular die then it's likely the die. But I have not had the time to do so as I work a butt load of OT and I had to use my spare time to get another rifle ready for my son to use and also arrange clothing for us to use as it's going to be not bitter cold but cold enough (teens at sunrise highs for the days at or slightly above freezing) to require considerable clothing to do all day sits like I always do during opening weekend of gun season.

Didn't know anyone else used a 35 Remington:rolleyes:.
Given your use of the collet die, the neck tension is the same. But if the neck is thicker on the new brass, then your crimp will be harder.
There's a real chance the new brass has a different internal capacity. Do you have any velocity readings?

I use the 200 gr ftx with lever evolution powder with great success out of my glenfield lever gun. The factory ammo is darn good too.

DartonJager
If you check your ammo with a runout gauge you will know if the bullet is tilted and if that caused the bulge on the neck.
Another possibility is the bulge you see on the neck is caused by neck thickness variations. I had some Remington cases that had .009 neck thickness variations. And this caused the necks to bulge on the thicker side of the neck.

First and foremost there's nothing wrong with Hornady brass. I use it all of the time for my .358 Winchester and the Whelen, never an issue whatsoever. I have also used Hornady brass for 35 Remington reloads, and again no issues. Just curious if you are crimping or not, could not really tell form your post? If you are crimping I would like to suggest getting a Lee Factory Crimp die. I bought one for my 45-70, could not believe I have been reloading this long without using one; makes great, no-nonsense crimps and for $20. I am just curious if you measured "wall" thickness of the necks? Did you anneal the brass prior to doing all of the neck work on the brass? I use a salt bath annealer, for some it's controversial, but I cannot afford a $700+ piece of equipment to anneal; and, it is working for me. I use a Sinclair mandrel neck sizing tool on all of my brass, I've found that it gives uniform seating pressure and limits runout for me; and it eliminates the donut.

My other suggestions would be (if time allows) to purchase another batch of brass and start from there, perhaps you got a bad batch, take another rifle if that's an option, or purchase some factory ammo to hunt the season with. When I go on a hunt I always try to have some factory ammunition along, just in case I have a problem with my reloads. .358 Winchesters and 35 Whelens are not on your everyday shopping shelves in most/any gun shops; I've got Fusions for the Whelen and Hornady for the .358 Winchester.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I have simply not had enough time to sit down and try to figure out what caused this issue but when i do will get back here and post my findings.
I have only Hornady brass as it is the only new 35 Remington brass I have ever been able to buy and I bought one box of Hornady FTX as a test loading if needed.

I plan on buying a box of Remington Core-Locked ammo and use that brass as a test medium along with a new batch of hornady brass I have on hand that is a different lot# than the one I'm having the issue with.

Again thanks a great deal for the sharing of knowledge with me in an effort to help me solve this problem.

If you hadn't trimmed the brass, there is a possibility that when you seated the bullet the seater actually pushed down on the mouth of the brass, and caused the bulge a bit lower. I had this happen (different caliber) and it took a while to figure out.

Don't be afraid to take a black Sharpie to the neck and shoulder of a piece of brass, and then seat a bullet. You never know what's happening.

I know we all assume that new brass is not too long, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Do you use any lube before seating the bullet? Imperial Dry Lube works well.
I also crimp my 35 Rem loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.