Using shooter on I phone

224TTH

I recently got "shooter" on my phone. I was wondering about when you use the "atmosphere from station" part. How does it figure the altitude? I can be in the same spot and every time I hit the button it will give a different elevation???

Does it go off your current location from the GPS in the phone or from the location of the weather station?

thanks
224tth

This should answer your question.

Link to the i-manual Operation Manual for Shooter

Shot Data & Atmosphere Inputs

Atmospheric Conditions
There are 2 ways to input atmospheric conditions. The default which is by entering some combination of altitude/humidity/temp/pressure and by "Density Altitude". If you prefer to use Density Altitude, you must enable this option in the Preferences.
Location & Density - In the grey colored bar at the top of the Atmospheric Conditions inputs, you'll see these two values. "Location" will be populated when using the "Auto Atmosphere" feature (see Preferences) or when manually pulling values by touching your device's Menu button and choosing the "Station Atmosphere" option. The "Density" value updates as you change atmospheric inputs to show the corresponding air density. This is particularily useful if you are comparing Shooter's calculations to some other calculator so you can be sure that the air density for both calculators are the same before making the comparison.
Density Altitude - If you have enabled Density Altitude in Preferences, then pressure input type, altitude, humidity and pressure inputs will be gone and you will see Density Altitude and Temperature instead. If you've enabled Density Altitude then I assume you know what it is and how to use it. If you don't know, then just don't use it and skip this. The reason you must enter Temperature as well (even though the Density Altitude value incorporates temperature already) is because the actual Temperature must be known for Shooter to calculate the speed of sound which is important for calculating an accurate trajectory.
Pressure Input Type - This is for specifying how you want to input your current pressure. There is a "?" button right next to this input which explains each option.
Altitude - Your current altitude. This field will be disabled if you chose "Station" for Pressure Input Type because Station pressure is absolute and altitude is irrelevant.
Temperature - Your current temperature.
Rel. Humidity - Your current Relative Humidity.
Pressure - Your current pressure. This will be disabled if you chose "By altitude" for Pressure Input Type because the standard pressure at the altitude you specified will be calculated for you. If you chose "By altitude and corrected SLP" then you need to enter the barometric pressure here. If you chose "Station" then you need to enter the station (absolute) pressure here.
Using GPS and the Internet to pull in current atmospheric conditions
Shooter offers the ability to populate your atmospheric inputs by grabbing your current location via the GPS in your device and then downloading current conditions from a nearby weather station using the Internet. To use this feature, you must obviously have a device that has GPS capability and is connected to either WiFi or a data connection through your phone's service provider.
There are 2 ways to pull this data in:

1. Auto: By enabling the "Auto Atmosphere" in the Preferences. When this is enabled, Shooter will attempt to get a GPS fix and download weather data as soon as you open up the shot data input screen. Once it gets this data, the atmosphere fields will be populated for you and the "Location" will be updated to show where it pulled weather data from.
  2. Manual: You can touch the Menu button on your device and choose the "Station Atmosphere" option. This does the exact same thing as "Auto Atmosphere", it's just invoked manually. You can use this even when "Auto Atmosphere" is enabled to force it to re-pull data.
Using your Bluetooth-enabled Kestrel to load atmospheric conditions
If you have a Bluetooth-enabled Kestrel Weather Meter along with a Bluetooth-enabled device running at least version 2.0 of Android, you can pair them and load the readings from your Kestrel directly into the atmospheric inputs of Shooter. This requires you to download the free plugin "Shooter BT Plugin for Kestrel" from the Android Market. In the shot data input screen, touch the Menu button on your device and choose the "Kestrel Atmosphere" option. A dialog will appear asking if you want to download the plugin from the Market. Choose Yes and download and install the app just like any other application from the Market. This plugin is not an app you can find and launch from the application launcher of Android -- it's only accessible from within Shooter as explained below.
Once you have the plugin installed, follow these steps to get your Kestrel talking to Shooter:

1. Turn on your Kestrel and go into the settings and then "Bluetooth". Set Bluetooth to "On" and then go to "Info" and note down the PIN it shows.
  2. On your Android device, go to Settings (not settings in Shooter, settings of Android itself) and then Wireless & Networks. Make sure Bluetooth is enabled and then go to Bluetooth Settings. Touch the "Scan for devices" option and wait for your Kestrel device to appear under the "Bluetooth devices" section. Once it does, touch that device and a dialog will appear asking for the PIN. Type in the PIN that you noted down in step 1 from your Kestrel. It should now say, "Paired but not connected". Once you do this, you never have to do this again. Android will remember your Kestrel device.
  3. Now open up Shooter and choose your firearm and ammo and then once in the Shot Data input screen, touch Menu and go to "Kestrel Atmosphere". You will be brought to a screen showing your paired devices. Touch the device that is your Kestrel and you will be brought to a screen of the current atmosphere readings from your Kestrel (it can take a couple second to start showing the values). Touch the "Load" button at the bottom to get dropped back to the shot data input screen and those values populated into your atmospheric input fields.
When you're using the plugin, you can touch the Menu button on your device and go to Preferences. Here you can set the Default Device. Choose your Kestrel device from that list and the next time you open the plugin, it won't ask you to choose your device again and take you right to the current readings screen. This saves a little time.

HTH,

Scot E.

When I hit the "atmoshere from station" button it still will jump around sometimes a couple hundred feet each time I hit the button even if I am in same spot?

According to the directions it should use the gps for elevation and closest weather station to get data. So if it is doing this why is elevation jumping around? Just did it and it went from 337 to 525?

thanks
224tth

That is caused by the inconsistency of your GPS. Phone GPS's aren't great and some work better than others. In reality a jump of a couple hundred feet won't make much difference unless you are getting way out there, in which case you may want to get a kestrel to get more accurate data.

I personally don't use elevation for shooter. I set shooter to accept absolute pressure which essentially calculates the raw pressure value which adjusts for elevation. Faster and easier.

Scot E.

My home zero is at 350-400feet where I shoot tournaments is 1250 feet and it makes a difference of @ 3.6". That is enought to cause a miss when the "X" is 3" on the target and the 10 is 7".

I was referring to the error in your GPS of 150-200 feet not making a huge difference not the difference between your house and shooting range of almost 1000 feet.

I would suggest you go with absolute pressure or get a kestrel.

Scot E.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.