i phone ballistic software

RDM416

Has anyone out there tried the ballistics program(s) available for the i phone? I recently upgraded my phone to an i phone and downloaded two of the ballistics programs available at the Apple apps store. One is called Ballistic FTE, the other is by BulletFlight. They are very inexpensive at less than $10 each.

I have been using XBal on both my computer and a Palm Pilot. When I compare the charts from the i phone programs they are very close if not identical to XBal. Neither has the depth of features of XBal, but both seem to have most everything you would normally need.

Both programs have a HUD (heads up display) feature that is quite handy. A large "drum" with yardages dominates the screen. You use your finger to scroll down the desired yardage and your dial up data is shown instantly in large print at the bottom of the screen.

BulletFlight shows both MOA and Clicks at the same time, Ballistic FTE allows you to chose if you want to show either Clicks or MOA. Both programs use the internal position sensors in the phone to show angle. I am not sure how difficult this will be in a field situation, but you can lay the i phone on the rifle barrel and it will show the angle and make the changes to compensate for the angle. This feature is a little easier to use on the Ballistic FTE program as it is on the HUD screen. To use the angle feature on BulletFlight you have to go to a different screen.

For such inexpensive programs I have been pretty impressed, and may use this next fall for hunting. I always have my phone with me which makes the Palm one less piece of equipment to carry.

I was just wondering if anyone else out ther has played with either of the programs and what you thought of them.

I downloaded the "Ballistic" app for my iPod Touch. So far it looks pretty close but haven't taken it out and really worked to see if the numbers match up. I like the option to set intervals for data to your own specs (ask for trajectory info out to whatever distance and using whatever interval - I use 50 yards right now - you want as well).

I use Ballistics as well. It is really nice. you can save some of your favorite loads for quick reference. One cool feature is it finds the closet weather station and get the bp, humidity, and the elevation for you if you want it to.

You can put in range notes and the guy who made it seems to be a pretty avid shooter.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.