Ultra Mags vs Rem Mag and Win Mag

You'll love the 300, great bullet selection for both paper and game. It is a little powder hungry but the performance is worth it. My next 300 RUM barrel will be a 9twist 3 groove just for the heavies and cutting edge's C22. I shoot in sub zero temps and the C22 200 grain cutting edge bullet won't stabile beyond 500 yards with a ten twist at sea level.

Reuben

If I already have a 7mm Rem Mag, will I gain much from a 7mm RUM?
300 fps or so on 140's; you can hit 3500 fps with them in a 7rum. 300-400 with 175 grain pills; with the 7rum you can hit at least 3100 fps with them and a few loads show more than that but I haven't shot them in a rifle yet. I've got some 171 barnes match loaded with retumbo for my new 7rum. I'll bet from the book data they will be doing 3150-3200 fps.

It is gratifying to know and remember that the 300 WIN MAG is THE cartridge that most others are compared to. There is good reason for this.
It's a heck of a round in a good pipe. My 300win has more kills than my other rifles combined. Of course I've owned it a heck of a long time too though.

It is gratifying to know and remember that the 300 WIN MAG is THE cartridge that most others are compared to. There is good reason for this.

I'd say this is more because of availability and price than it is for performance. You can walk into almost any gun store, walmart, sporting goods shop and you will find 300 win mag ammo and rifles on the shelves. We as Americans have this wierd obsession with 30 calibers. Even when presented with clearly better ballistically performing cartridges, people will still claim their 300 win mag is better. Does it do a certain thing well? Sure it does. Are there better performing cartridges out there? Sure there are. People use it as a comparison because most people have a general idea of what its capable of. But when it comes to the "fastest, flatest, new cartridge" the 300 win mag gets left in the dust. I've owned one and I enjoyed it. But I wanted something ballistically superior.

Deerhntr71 the 7 RUM really shines with the heavies. I wouldn't shoot anything lighter than the 169 wildcat bullet and would throat a 30" 7 twist to shoot the 200 ULD RBBT at 2950-3000 fps.

Reuben

Last edited:
I have owned, hunted and compared a lot of them side by side. 7's and 30's big over bore cases and all. What do I shoot today after all the smoke has cleared? Well I will just say, all things considered, it is very hard to beat a 300 win with a 215 Berger at 3K fps plus. I have set up many and even the 26" rifles get 3K or very close to it.

It is a sensible killing machine and I have stacked elk, deer, antelope and bear from 50 yards to 1285 yards with it.

I am happy to be back to it even after owning all the super magnums.

Jeff

I'd say this is more because of availability and price than it is for performance. You can walk into almost any gun store, walmart, sporting goods shop and you will find 300 win mag ammo and rifles on the shelves. We as Americans have this wierd obsession with 30 calibers. Even when presented with clearly better ballistically performing cartridges, people will still claim their 300 win mag is better. Does it do a certain thing well? Sure it does. Are there better performing cartridges out there? Sure there are. People use it as a comparison because most people have a general idea of what its capable of. But when it comes to the "fastest, flatest, new cartridge" the 300 win mag gets left in the dust. I've owned one and I enjoyed it. But I wanted something ballistically superior.

So what do you like

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.