7mm Rem Mag vs 300 Win Mag

7mag if it's neck sized,
300 if it's crimped with a LFC die. But then again if the 7mag is collet neck sized and crimped with a LFC die and.....shot out of a Savage, it beats everything except 6.5 Creedmoor.
As sarcastic-laden as that response was, that's funny!

As for my real opinion, just go 7mmRM and call it a day. Ballistically with equal weight-for-caliber bullets, the external ballistics will be negligible. Both are good cartridges.

Both with 180gr bullets seems that the 7mm beats the 300 whats your experiance with using both

This boils down to personal choice and application. Load the heaviest bullet with highest BC with the best group at your intended max range with the highest energy at point of impact and go with that. Load the 215 Berger in the .300 WM and you're golden.

As sarcastic-laden as that response was, that's funny!

As for my real opinion, just go 7mmRM and call it a day. Ballistically with equal weight-for-caliber bullets, the external ballistics will be negligible. Both are good cartridges.
I just thought I would put a couple more dead horses out there to beat.

Last edited:
Or just put some Berger 195 Elite Hunters in it, and stomp the .300WM with less recoil... ;)

I've tried this but in the end the loss in MV is not completely compensated by the increased BC and extra weight of the bullet, at least on my rifle. In my very short experience the only way to beat the 180 grainers is by getting a bigger case. It´s just my experience.
Trajectory is identical for the 180 Hybrid and the 195 and it only packs a little more energy down range.

On the other hand, using a 180 ELD-M it beats the 195. Flatter trajectory and a little more energy down range. The energy difference is not enough to concern you in any case, but you can definitely notice the recoil difference between the 180´s and the 195´s

4E6C182A-D885-494F-A342-E81A02A9F765.jpeg

I still believe the Hornady bullets have inflated BC's. But that's my personal opinion.

Also, you're about 100 FPS off... Try running actual numbers on the 195 at around 2,900 FPS MV... That's what most are topping-out around in 26" barreled 7mmRM. And the 215 also at 2,900, which is also right at the upper-end for 26" barrels in .300WM. They're **** close... But the 7mm 195 still has the advantage. Energy is so close it's negligible, but velocity, drop, & windage are noticeable.

Here's the 195 chart from Berger's calculator...

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 11.15.25 AM.png

Here's the 215 Hybrid chart at 2,900 FPS MV with all factors being equal.

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 11.05.06 AM.png

Last edited:
I feel its personal preference and both are decent enough at long range for what I do. I do prefer the 300 win mag but use 215 for hunting big game/steel and in my dink around 300 I use 125 Noslers for prairie dogs.

I don't have any experience with 7 mags. But my 300 Win Mag drives a 215 at 3000 fps. Deadly combo. Some guys are even getting over 3000 fps. Mines a 26" Brux. As stated I'm sure either the 7mm or 300 would serve you well.

I don't have any experience with 7 mags. But my 300 Win Mag drives a 215 at 3000 fps. Deadly combo. Some guys are even getting over 3000 fps. Mines a 26" Brux. As stated I'm sure either the 7mm or 300 would serve you well.
I was just averaging... There's guys on here reporting over 3,000 FPS with a 195 Berger in a 26" 7RM, but I didn't want to skew the factors too far into the "what if" possibilities realm. Just figured keep it simple, basic, and too the point. I was simply using the same speed to show that loaded to the same average speeds, they are VERY close in performance, despite folks saying that the .300WM "just kills better", which I think is more of a mental confidence factor, than what caliber your rifle is.

I can't confirm personally, but there's been a few reports of the 195's not performing well on game at times. I'm a huge Berger fan , but don't have a 7 to test them in . Hopefully just a few isolated instances or more likely less than ideal shot placement.

I still believe the Hornady bullets have inflated BC's. But that's my personal opinion.

Also, you're about 100 FPS off... Try running actual numbers on the 195 at around 2,900 FPS MV... That's what most are topping-out around in 26" barreled 7mmRM. And the 215 also at 2,900, which is also right at the upper-end for 26" barrels in .300WM. They're **** close... But the 7mm 195 still has the advantage. Energy is so close it's negligible, but velocity, drop, & windage are noticeable.

Here's the 195 chart from Berger's calculator...

View attachment 91054

Here's the 215 Hybrid chart at 2,900 FPS MV with all factors being equal.

View attachment 91053

I´m not saying you're wrong. I just posted max loads on my rifle. I can't get over the MV I posted for every bullet. I load my 7 mag with H1000 and Retumbo because I get best accuracy with them. Maybe other powders might get me a little faster but I´ll take accuracy over speed every day of the week.

My 28 Nosler is a completely different animal. I get around 3150 fps with the 195 and 3280 with the hybrid 180 but it also burns a lot more powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.