7mm Rem Mag vs 300 Win Mag

For this case...I would go with the 270 Wby...

3225fps with the 170gr Berger out of a 28" 1-9 barrel...

Drops @ 1000 yrds is only 5 mils...still going 2130fps @ 1000 yrds...

Same case...

Better ballistics ?

Good sectional density is what you want in a hunting load...?

Sorry but I respectfully disagree that sectional density alone is what is desirable in a hunting load. One must look at the overall characteristic of the bullet, for instance according the the Hornady 10th edition ....

143 ELD-X in .264 cal has a sectional density of .293 and a G1 of .625

and

160 Interlock round nose in .264 cal has a sectional density of .328 and a G1 of .283

Which one do you think is more desirable of the two for long range hunting?

My personal choice is the 143 ELD-X.

Cheers!

Ed

Sorry but I respectfully disagree that sectional density alone is what is desirable in a hunting load. One must look at the overall characteristic of the bullet, for instance according the the Hornady 10th edition ....

143 ELD-X in .264 cal has a sectional density of .293 and a G1 of .625

and

160 Interlock round nose in .264 cal has a sectional density of .328 and a G1 of .283

Which one do you think is more desirable of the two for long range hunting?

My personal choice is the 143 ELD-X.

Cheers!

Ed

Burning 80gr of powder behind that 160 round nose...you may just be able to brute force that poor G1...:) and melt the lead nose off while you are at it...:)

Back to our regular scheduled thread...:)

Great thread.
There is one comment I would like to add to this.

I am fortunate enough to load and shoot a lot of calibers.

For my body size and weight, I have found that a 7 Rem Mag (3?) are great to shoot and perform with totally acceptable recoil.

For my body, a 300 Win Mag has a fast punch in recoil and I don't like to shoot them. Just sold one and have 2 left. Don't hunt with them much because of this.

My 338 Win mags are very pleasant as they are more "push" than "jab"
Love this caliber.

My 2 375 HH are even more pleasant to shoot.

It is only an opinion but go with a rifle you find pleasant to shoot for your body size, weight and shape. Probably will make you more successful

On paper the 300 Win Mag is better. For me I can't shoot one well.

I still believe the Hornady bullets have inflated BC's. But that's my personal opinion.

Also, you're about 100 FPS off... Try running actual numbers on the 195 at around 2,900 FPS MV... That's what most are topping-out around in 26" barreled 7mmRM. And the 215 also at 2,900, which is also right at the upper-end for 26" barrels in .300WM. They're **** close... But the 7mm 195 still has the advantage. Energy is so close it's negligible, but velocity, drop, & windage are noticeable.

Here's the 195 chart from Berger's calculator...

View attachment 91054

Here's the 215 Hybrid chart at 2,900 FPS MV with all factors being equal.

View attachment 91053

Here is a 270Wby 170gr EOL with all factors equal...

Wind drift is about the same and so is the energy on target...

However drops are much less...

about 10" less drop @ 500 yrds and about 40" less drop @ 1000 yrds

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 5.27.13 PM.png

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.