Ultimate long range cartridge

del2les said:
What is your definition?

The question was in response to his statement of building a Cheytac as "horribly expensive". Expensive is a relative term, and it means different things to different people. We are talking about a serious 2 mile rifle, so like any sport, if you wish to play with the top tier boys, there is a price. Yours may not be mine or someone else's. YMMV
yes sir I understand. I just don't know what YMMV means.

One of the ranges I used to shoot at got shut down because it was on public land.

I would have to be a billionaire to buy enough land for a 1,000 yard private range around here.

Both the ranges I intend to use for load development are private. I am usually a guest at the 1,000 yard range but might have to get a membership. At the closer range with a 200 yard lane, I go on non-member days although I do know a member, he just rarely goes shooting and it's far too expensive to buy a membership at that range, I could buy the RV for my load development trip cheaper than a membership there.
I don't know what part of the earth you live. There is a 1000 yard shooting Range in Mingus Texas. It's called TacPro. They have a web site. The Membership fee is $200 a year. Not $1,000s of dollars like other places for some reason. I really don't know why they charge so much. Hope this helps you.

It doesn't help.

I'm in silicon valley, the close by range with expensive membership might wind up burning from the fires we have currently. The land it is on is worth millions despite being in a spot that's pretty far off the beaten path. It's worth more than that though because even if you could find land for an outdoor range in Santa Clara county, good luck getting a permit and if anyone lives within earshot, you'll get shut down immediately. The existing ranges are pretty much grandfathered in because they were there before the NIMBYs. They still get forced to bend over backward to do noise mitigation, lead remediation and probably more behind the scenes.

I really want to move but I'm tied to the area by work and family...

It doesn't help.

I'm in silicon valley, the close by range with expensive membership might wind up burning from the fires we have currently. The land it is on is worth millions despite being in a spot that's pretty far off the beaten path. It's worth more than that though because even if you could find land for an outdoor range in Santa Clara county, good luck getting a permit and if anyone lives within earshot, you'll get shut down immediately. The existing ranges are pretty much grandfathered in because they were there before the NIMBYs. They still get forced to bend over backward to do noise mitigation, lead remediation and probably more behind the scenes.

I really want to move but I'm tied to the area by work and family...
man that sucks. I do understand family and work though. Sorry I couldn't help.

I have read this thread from start to finish. I am wondering if I bit off more than I can chew.

I have many years, too many for you to believe, shooting. 45-70, 30-06, 12 GA, and 45 LC

I just found out about ELR and want to try it. Bought a new Savage 112 in Lapua 338 Magnum, a 34x scope, some sand bags, and reloading dies to fit my Lee Classic. Haven't fired a shot yet.

I am NOT into self abuse and crawling in the mud for a mile, but most of these places that have courses suggest I bring "tough boots and 3 gallons of water". That turns me off. I just want to shoot for distance, not take a small town while carrying a Ma Duce barehanded.

I live in south Texas and there are at least three 1000+ ranges within 200 miles.

I am in excellent health and am descended from a long line of rifle shooters so the DNA is there.

But am I fooling myself at 83 years of age? I want to learn to shoot long, but dont want to go to Marine Corps Boot camp.

Last edited:
I have read this thread from start to finish. I am wondering if I bit off more than I can chew.

I have many years, too many for you to believe, shooting. 45-70, 30-06, 12 GA, and 45 LC

I just found out about ELR and want to try it. Bought a new Savage 112 in Lapua 338 Magnum, a 34x scope, some sand bags, and reloading dies to fit my Lee Classic. Haven't fired a shot yet.

I am NOT into self abuse and crawling in the mud for a mile, but most of these places that have courses suggest I bring "tough boots and 3 gallons of water". That turns me off. I just want to shoot for distance, not take a small town while carrying a Ma Duce barehanded.

I live in south Texas and there are at least three 1000+ ranges within 200 miles.

I am in excellent health and am descended from a long line of rifle shooters so the DNA is there.

But am I fooling myself at 83 years of age? I want to learn to shoot long, but dont want to go to Marine Corps Boot camp.
Hello sir. I don't thank anybody is ever to old to start a new hobby. New thang keep your mind sharp. I can try and point you in the right direction. I will list some tool that will help you. First of, your rifle scope will need either some mill dots or hash marks in the glass on. Make a decision on weather or not you want a first or second focal plain. I can help explain that if you need me to sir. ( It will serve as a reference point ) wind hold off and range estimation. 2nd a wind meter. ( Kestrel is a very good name brand ) it will help with wind and if you are willing to spend a little more $$ some of them will have ballistics data, bullet drop in them also. There are apps for bullet drop on these new smart phones also. I use the knights Armament app. 3rd you will need a laser range finder, some of them have bullet drop programmed in them also, ( Those are the easiest way for long range hunting) along with cosine indicator ( meaning it will help you calculate for shooting up and down hill ) when choosing a Laser Rangefinder try and get one that will range twice the distance you want to shoot. So if you want to shoot 1,000 yards then get a 2,000 yard rangefinder. Trust me you will be glad you did. If you want to know some of the tools I use in the field please feel free to ask. I have laser rangefinders and a Mill-Dot-Master. I use it because electronics fail sometimes. I will help you in anyway I can sir. Good luck and welcome to the addiction. LoL

Hello sir. I don't thank anybody is ever to old to start a new hobby. New thang keep your mind sharp. I can try and point you in the right direction. I will list some tool that will help you. First of, your rifle scope will need either some mill dots or hash marks in the glass on. Make a decision on weather or not you want a first or second focal plain. I can help explain that if you need me to sir. ( It will serve as a reference point ) wind hold off and range estimation. 2nd a wind meter. ( Kestrel is a very good name brand ) it will help with wind and if you are willing to spend a little more $$ some of them will have ballistics data, bullet drop in them also. There are apps for bullet drop on these new smart phones also. I use the knights Armament app. 3rd you will need a laser range finder, some of them have bullet drop programmed in them also, ( Those are the easiest way for long range hunting) along with cosine indicator ( meaning it will help you calculate for shooting up and down hill ) when choosing a Laser Rangefinder try and get one that will range twice the distance you want to shoot. So if you want to shoot 1,000 yards then get a 2,000 yard rangefinder. Trust me you will be glad you did. If you want to know some of the tools I use in the field please feel free to ask. I have laser rangefinders and a Mill-Dot-Master. I use it because electronics fail sometimes. I will help you in anyway I can sir. Good luck and welcome to the addiction. LoL (( check out a shooting range called TacPro )) that's where I go. Who knows, if we meet, I can surly help.

Thank you. I am overwhelmed by the sheer genius I find on this list, and greatly humbled.

My interest is in target shooting for now. Might get into hunting later, so I had not bought a rangefinder. My reticle has mil dot markings and I have a second focal plane scope. 1/10 mil on the adjustments and parallax adjustment and lighted reticle. I would have preferred a first focal plane scope, but was too stingy with my money and figured either would work just differently. The scope can handle 60 mils drop.

I have the Lapua calculator on my smart phone and it looks like it will be easy enough to use.

The range in Mingus TX is a long trip for me, but it is on my list. Others nearer are Rifles Only in Kingsville TX and Southern Hills near Hondo TX. Both seem to be at the 1000 yd max.

Yes it does seem to be an addiction.

Thank you. I am overwhelmed by the sheer genius I find on this list, and greatly humbled.

My interest is in target shooting for now. Might get into hunting later, so I had not bought a rangefinder. My reticle has mil dot markings and I have a second focal plane scope. 1/10 mil on the adjustments and parallax adjustment and lighted reticle. I would have preferred a first focal plane scope, but was too stingy with my money and figured either would work just differently. The scope can handle 60 mils drop.

I have the Lapua calculator on my smart phone and it looks like it will be easy enough to use.

The range in Mingus TX is a long trip for me, but it is on my list. Others nearer are Rifles Only in Kingsville TX and Southern Hills near Hondo TX. Both seem to be at the 1000 yd max.

Yes it does seem to be an addiction.
I didn't know you moved to Texas. I am definitely visiting you, I'll come your way sir.I might just have to bring dad along.

In my research it seemed the best all-around choice and compromise for me was the .300 Weatherby mag. Fast and flat yet I never see anyone referencing it. Am I missing something? Expensive round? Recoil issues?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.