Two loads; one rifle

Alan Griffith

Setting up a new rifle as follows.

338 Edge
30" Bartlein 5R in a Teludyne Tech Straightjacket Barrel System
2.0 AICS Hybrid stock
Jewell trigger
NF 5.5-22x56mm with MOAR

The AI mag only allows an OAL of about 3.65". I have a feeling that when I start using the Berger 300 OTM I'll need a much longer OAL close to 4.00". With that said, I figured i might develop two loads, one for the 300 OTM to be single loaded and another of the Barnes 280 LRX to be carried in the mag. My thinking is OTM for ELR and the LRX for stuff up close so that I don't destroy tons of meat with an OTM.

I'd love to hear your ideas.

Alan

I did this exact thing with a Remington 700 LTR in 308. I have cases of 168gr gmm and have my scope sighted in with this. I also load 208 amax rounds that I have to single load. The GMM I use for targets, the Amax I use for long range hunting. I just have to remember where my second zero is but it works well for me.

I have my 300 RUM setup this way, but one for hunting and the other for paper. My C22 cutting edge 200 grainers are sighted in at 300 yards and by chance my 240 SMK target loads are zeroed at 100 yards without changing windage or elevation.

Reuben

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.