One new rifle or two?

Just throwing this out there...

Something like an Element Mg 4.0 chassis system in 7 Rem Mag, long throated, with a 26" medium heavy barrel and muzzle brake. About 8.5-9.5 lbs fully outfitted depending on scope weight.

Not exactly ultra light, but very manageable for hiking.

For the range...Just add a pound or two of weights to the rails and in the buffer tube. Now you have an 11 lb bench rider...

7 Rem Mag, with an 8 twist, 26" bbl should get you 2950 fps with a 175 class bullet with a 0.330-0.350 G7 BC. That's good for about 2200 fps and 1900 ftlbs at 500 yards. That'll thwack any moose or elk I'd think.

With a 180-190 VLD or ELD, you're BC will go up above 0.350, and should be supersonic to a mile or more depending on elevation and temp.

Just a thought...

Why have one rifle when you can have two? I would build each outfit for it's intended use....and while the same cartridge may be ok for both it's unlikely the most suitable scope will be the same.
Re the 300 Weatherby- I have identical Mk V's in both 300 and 340, and find the 340 smoother to use. It's recoil is more of a push, whereas the 300 is more sudden, albeit a bit less.

Two rifles , for sure!! Two is better than one!!! Make each one perfect for the game and range and the terrain!!! One rifle I really enjoy is my Weatherby Mark V Ultralight. its 5 and 3/4 Pound . 24 inch SS Flutes Krieger barrel . Mine is chambered in .270 Win, BUT Weatherby Chambers it in many calibers, even Magnums. Depending on the hunt I may swap the scope from the Leupold Vari X 3 2.5x to 8x over to a Leupold Vari X 3 4.5X to 14 X. I always bring the other scope as a back up, just in case the scope on the rifle gets damaged on the hunt !! Please don't pay attention to the Snow Cammo on the stock, I had it "Hydro Dipped " because I just cant leave stuff alone.

Attachments

• IMG_2483Oct 2021 Pic 2.jpg
    IMG_2483Oct 2021 Pic 2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 48