Trying to work on a load for a browning abolt 300 rum? Questions! Lots!

I'd go with the 190 load data to start with.
You can also loosen up on how slow you work up your load. Once you find an accuracy node work around it but you'll shoot out the barrel before you even get a load if you don't watch it. I nearly laughed when 1/2 grain changes on the bottom end were mentioned- I'd go at least 1 until you are familiar with the rifle. Possibly even coarser on the bottom end then. Once you pass the mid charge I'd slow up but 1/10th grain for a cartridge of this size is a fart in the breeze. Benchrest guys with 30 grain powder capacities need to do this. Your rifle can eat over 100 grains of powder.

As to bullets, There is a reason I'm using the hdy 225hpbt in my rifle and not a heavy berger. I load to mag length on a remmy and I'm not single loading a magazine rifle unless I have to. Berger makes good pills and they have their place, but not in a rifle of mine that needs a jump because of freebore. I also use the 190 and 180 hdy interlock in this rifle and they all shoot well at 3.650" oal. with over .200" jump. I didn't measure exactly as I simply do not care. 1.2 - 2/3 moa accuracy no matter the conditions says enough for me.

Great info, thanks.

I'd go with the 190 load data to start with.
You can also loosen up on how slow you work up your load. Once you find an accuracy node work around it but you'll shoot out the barrel before you even get a load if you don't watch it. I nearly laughed when 1/2 grain changes on the bottom end were mentioned- I'd go at least 1 until you are familiar with the rifle. Possibly even coarser on the bottom end then. Once you pass the mid charge I'd slow up but 1/10th grain for a cartridge of this size is a fart in the breeze. Benchrest guys with 30 grain powder capacities need to do this. Your rifle can eat over 100 grains of powder.

As to bullets, There is a reason I'm using the hdy 225hpbt in my rifle and not a heavy berger. I load to mag length on a remmy and I'm not single loading a magazine rifle unless I have to. Berger makes good pills and they have their place, but not in a rifle of mine that needs a jump because of freebore. I also use the 190 and 180 hdy interlock in this rifle and they all shoot well at 3.650" oal. with over .200" jump. I didn't measure exactly as I simply do not care. 1.2 - 2/3 moa accuracy no matter the conditions says enough for me.

that should have read 1/2 moa.... not 1.2 moa.... oops:)

huntxtrm,
Yes the 185 grain CLASSIC HUNTER is the only way to go if you want magazine length ammo. For Retumbo : MIN=86.5 grain- MAX = 96.0 approximate velocities are 2791 to 3084 fps and its an 102% fill ratio so it will be a compressed load. If you need any more help please let us know.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Ok, had to order the berger 185 classic hunters. No one had them local, that I could find. I bought some Hornady 180 btsp interlocks to play around with and start shooting. I have them loaded as follows.

180gn hornady btsp interlock
CCI 250 large rifle magnum primers.
All at 3.6 col to fit in my mag. I believe I will stay with this length, to stay inside my mag. Not really interested in single shotting, at the time. Maybe later. As experience is acquired.

91gn
92gn
93gn
94gn
95gn

6 of each to see how they group.

The hornady book calls for fed 215 primers, but the cabelas guy pointed me towards the CCI 250's.

Anybody see anything wrong with these loads? I am starting at the bottom of what the book calls out, and working my way up. Just until I get grouping, I'm satisfied with. Or, I get pressure signs.

Everybody locally is telling me to stay 180gn on the bullet weight. But, wouldn't a heavier bullet do better at longer ranges? Which is better on the barrel?

Ok, had to order the berger 185 classic hunters. No one had them local, that I could find. I bought some Hornady 180 btsp interlocks to play around with and start shooting. I have them loaded as follows.

180gn hornady btsp interlock
CCI 250 large rifle magnum primers.
All at 3.6 col to fit in my mag. I believe I will stay with this length, to stay inside my mag. Not really interested in single shotting, at the time. Maybe later. As experience is acquired.

91gn
92gn
93gn
94gn
95gn

6 of each to see how they group.

The hornady book calls for fed 215 primers, but the cabelas guy pointed me towards the CCI 250's.

Anybody see anything wrong with these loads? I am starting at the bottom of what the book calls out, and working my way up. Just until I get grouping, I'm satisfied with. Or, I get pressure signs.

Everybody locally is telling me to stay 180gn on the bullet weight. But, wouldn't a heavier bullet do better at longer ranges? Which is better on the barrel?

Almost forgot, the powder is Retumbo.

huntxtrm,
The CCI 250 primers should not be a problem at all. drop your powder charge increments to 1/2 grain from 1 grain as you go up. Once you get to 2 grains below MAXIMUM then drop to 1/10th grain increments. All the while you will be checking for pressure signs and accuracy. Stay with the 185 grain bullet for the type of hunting you will be doing. The 215 VLD will require more load tuning than the hybrid and may not be able to be seated to fit in the magazine of your rifle due to its length. What affects barrel wear is the powder charge and burn rate of the powder along with rate of fire. These will probably not be an issue for you at this time. Sorry for the late reply ! Hope you had a great Christmas!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Ok, took it to the range Friday. Got it down to .75 moa? 3/4" 3 shot group at 100yds. @ 95gn of retumbo. Shot 2 x 3 shot groups of each load. Seemed to get tighter, the more powder was involved? is this usually the case? I'm planning on continuing to work up from there. 95 was as far as I got. MOA is center of hole punch to center of hole punch right?

Ok, took it to the range Friday. Got it down to .75 moa? 3/4" 3 shot group at 100yds. @ 95gn of retumbo. Shot 2 x 3 shot groups of each load. Seemed to get tighter, the more powder was involved? is this usually the case? I'm planning on continuing to work up from there. 95 was as far as I got. MOA is center of hole punch to center of hole punch right?
huntxtrm,
Yes. center to center is how to measure the group. What you may start to find as you increase your load is that the group MAY start to open up or get tighter and then start to open up. This means you are going AWAY from your velocity sweet spot. Depending on how close you are to maximum load for your rifle you MAY not be able to increase the load enough to get to another velocity accuracy node. If that is the case the 95 grain load MAY be the accuracy load for your rifle.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.