300 RUM Abolt 215 hybrid loads?

huntxtrm

I am fixing to start giving reloading a go. I have a pretty much stock Browning Abolt 300 RUM. It does have a brake, not a boss. Anybody ever work up a load for this rifle? I do have some Retumbo and Berger 215 hybrids on my desk. I was told to get that, its the best. But, that's as far as I have gotten. I don't know how much powder, COAL, Primers? suggestions? I'm not looking for speed, just accuracy. I will be shooting long, at Elk, hopefully. Up until now, I have been shooting factory ammo. Remington PL3 200g aframes. Groups well with these. 1" at 200. Or good to me anyhow. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'd take a 220-230 grain hpbt and rl33 in your 300rum for a heavy pill load. The 230 bergers have a following here. I've been using the 225 hdy but will likely switch to the 220 nos or the 230 berger when I'm out if hdy hasn't picked up production in a few months. Use a mag primer and walk it from about 90 grains until you hit full pressure... somewhere between 95 and 100 grains for most guys' rifles.

If you already have 215's or have your heart set on them bump your charge up a grain or two for that pill. Broz is using the 215 in his 300win so he may be an asset on the behavior of that bullet for you.

I'd take a 220-230 grain hpbt and rl33 in your 300rum for a heavy pill load. The 230 bergers have a following here. I've been using the 225 hdy but will likely switch to the 220 nos or the 230 berger when I'm out if hdy hasn't picked up production in a few months. Use a mag primer and walk it from about 90 grains until you hit full pressure... somewhere between 95 and 100 grains for most guys' rifles.

If you already have 215's or have your heart set on them bump your charge up a grain or two for that pill. Broz is using the 215 in his 300win so he may be an asset on the behavior of that bullet for you.

Thanks for the advice. I do already have the 215 hybrids. Are the 230 hybrids that much better for long shots? I'll work up two loads? and see which I like best.

I don't have a Browning, but I love the 215's with Nosler brass, Fed 215M primer, and a max "working" load of 88 grs of Retumbo. I've tried H1000 recently but my ES was all over the place. This load runs out at about 2985 fps for me. I jump them about 4 thousands, and they barely fit in my Seekins magazine. Lots of folks say that the great part of this bullet is that it is not as sensitive to seating depth as some other choices. Start at 84 grains and work up, watching for pressure. When you start to see it back off a couple of grains and see how it shoots "way over there". Good luck.

I also shoot a 300 RUM. Not A Browning though. I load 91 gr of H1000 with the 215. My barrel is on the way out as I have close to 1500 rounds through it. Shot it at 500 and 700 yards last weekend. Still holding half MOA. While working up I would start looking for pressure signs at around 91-93 gr. My 91 gr load is mild but very accurate. My gun liked the 215 at 15 thou off the lands. Just shoot the 215's you will not be disappointed. On game performance is awesome.

Thanks for the advice. I do already have the 215 hybrids. Are the 230 hybrids that much better for long shots? I'll work up two loads? and see which I like best.
horse a piece... you have enough boiler room to push the heavier slug with a bit better bc faster, but only you can be the judge as whether it's worth it.
I'm in the same boat with my 225 hdy hpbt's and 220 nos hpbt's; they shoot very well but the bc is a bit down from the 320 berger... Do I switch or not?? I'm not sure I'll shoot at a long enough range in the next couple of years for it to matter.

Retumbo is your friend....Start a ladder test at 87g, shoot through a chrono at 20 thou jump. 3 shot groups increasing .5g per to find the node close to 3000, adjust seating depth to tighten her up then call it a day....gun).............:)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.