browning abolt 300wsm

lloydsmale

Been working up loads for a abolt i bough this winter. Its got me shaking my head. I started with 5 differnt 180 grain bullets and it shot 2-3 inch groups with the loads i had. In all of these tests i used both re17 and 4350. I figured oh well it doesnt llike 180s. then i started shooting 165s and groups went to 5 inches plus!! I figured oh well this things a dud and ill just bring it back. Just for grins i brought along four 150 grain loads Two with 150 horn sst and two with 150 barnes tsx using both re17 and 4350 again. All four of these loads went under an inch for 5 shots. Ive seen guns that prefered differnt weight bullets but never to this much of an extream. Anyone else loading for an abolt in 300 wsm and whats your gun prefer?

Try slower powders with the heavier bullets, I use RL22 and H1000 in my browning a-bolt with all my gullet weights.

I'm using CCI magnum primers with 58.5 grns of H4350 pushing a Hornaday match 208 grn and getting decent (.875 @ 200 yds) results from it. One problem... it's in a Tikka stainless heavy barrel.
May not be a Browning, but it's a load that works for me. Might be worth a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.