Trying to decide between Rifle basix, Timney or jewell trigger?

In terms of reliability ALL and I mean ALL triggers will eventually fail. As will ALL trigger manf no matter how great they are send out a lemon. After all they are people and make mistakes not to mention they likely are not making the metal alloys they use to cut the parts out of thus is out of their control to some extent.

Certinaly without a doubt Jewel triggers fail but comparatively I still rate them over the timney and basix on feel and reliability. But consider that while Jewel is super popular in bolt guns (Remmys the most) they also make a AR-15 trigger but they are far from the goto manf for those. Its the Geiselle two stage triggers that rules ARs top end and they are very nice and all I use in my AR builds.

Of the three you mentioned I say Jewel. Arnold makes a very good trigger With that said and with the understanding that I am a two stage trigger guy, personally, I would suggest the CG trigger. After putting a good amount of rounds (100-150) thru a borrowed rifle I did some load development on (6mm creedmore) with a Mod22 CG Xtreme trigger this is what's going in my current build.

I have preferred the feel of a two stage (ever since getting use to my first sako trg-21 I received in 1990 for my 18th B-day :D (not even close to the grin I had when I saw it)). I find the benefit of having two stages especially true when I am setting the final pull weights low 1lb and under as compared to a single stage. I like the ability to have that first stage set me up when trigger pull weights drop under even 1.5-2lb and certainly when they go under 1 lb. For me I have found they are very helpful for high stress situations. I have seen a few guys during drills to get the heart rate up, set off a round prior to when they wanted to because they were shaking a bit and had light trigger. They were meaning to only stage their finger on the shoe but had it brake from the hand movement from the previous exertion. That's never fun and a bit unnerving when it happens and in some situations could be a real issue.

These triggers are not cheap comparatively (about 1/3 or more depending) so they may be out of your price range i.e $300-$350

If you might be interest I would suggest doing some searches on reviews of the CG-Jackson trigger designed by Robert Chombart and manf by Peter Jackson of Great Britain its manf and sold here in the USA by Tom Myers @ X-Treme Shooting Products. It is very popular with tactical and a number of comp shooters and thus I think falls very well inline with the needs of a long range hunting rig. Its user adj for pull weight 1st and 2nd stages (10oz - 3.5lb) and travel (pre/over) and position. It can be had with deep curved, straight or shallow curved shoe, and saftey / no saftey options as well. In speaking to one owner of a few of them you can step it up to be a single stage trigger as well but for me I do not see the point in that then. But I guess for some its worth it to do this.

Here is one of the most detailed and informative reviews: CG Jackson Two-Stage Match Trigger here is a forum thread on it that has some links as well to other reviews http://forum.snipershide.info/showthread.php?t=166943 and the manf site : X-Treme Shooting - Rem style triggers

I use to use the Huber trigger years ago but did not like the way it was setup. Still it felt great. Maybe they have fixed the issue as it was years ago and certainly the price has gone up a great deal as its as much as the CG now.

Hands down best 2 stage trigger I have ever shot was on a Anschutz comp gun.

I have had good success with the Timneys on my hunting rifles that are set at 2.5-3#, preferring a heavier weight with the range of conditions encountered and with practice, have found no trade off in long range accuracy. I have used them on my Remington 700's and Model 70's. They have proven to be reliable and have maintained there weight settings.

I started my initial search for a two Stage trigger, but you was s little confused about the way they worked. My buddy has a two stage on his Sako 243 I believe. He first has to push it forward to set it and then pull less than a pound to engage. I was thinking that was a two stage trigger but after reading several articals became confused. I though a two stage would work great on a hunting rifle because it would allow me to have the best of both. A heavy trigger for saftey and then a light trigger pull, less than a pound before the shot.

I started my initial search for a two Stage trigger, but you was s little confused about the way they worked. My buddy has a two stage on his Sako 243 I believe. He first has to push it forward to set it and then pull less than a pound to engage. I was thinking that was a two stage trigger but after reading several articals became confused. I though a two stage would work great on a hunting rifle because it would allow me to have the best of both. A heavy trigger for saftey and then a light trigger pull, less than a pound before the shot.
What you discribed is a called a "single set trigger". It's a set trigger that has only one trigger . Traditionally, set triggers had two. If you have a Mauser or Springfield, that's not had an aftermarket trigger installed, those are "two stage" triggers in their simpliest form. Whichever you choose, any of the triggers mentioned in this thread (except maybe the RB) that are set properly to 3# or less, with a crisp break and lots of practice will get you there. Breath 'n' squeeze,,,,,,, breath 'n' squeeze. The equipment can't do it for you, but good equipment can help you. Much, much, much depends on the 'driver'.

A two stage trigger is different from what you are describing which is called a set trigger. They are available ib two forms.. A two trigger arrangemrpent which a rear triggeris pulled to set the lighter weight stage. and the front trigger then releases at the lighter weight. The one you describe sets the lighter weight by pushing a single trigger forward. In both types, if the trigger is not set, the forward , (or single) trigger releases at a higher poundage. A two stage trigger has a take up(first stage), before the trigger breaks at the final sear release(2nd stage). Usually, a lighter first stage take up, and a higher weight second stage sear release. The triggers described in the preceding posts are single stage triggers, the most commonly used on LR hunting rifles due to simplicity, reliability, and consistency. I personally find it preferable to master the trigger pull on a top quality single stage trigger under all hunting conditions.

I've had rifle basix and timney. The rifle basix aren't bad. For the same price, I would go with timney.

Where you have trigger pull weight set should depend on your experience and what you are comfortable with. "a man's got to know his limitations". It's just my opinion, so take it for what you paid for it, but if a guy can't shoot a crisp 2#-2 1/2# trigger,, it's probably not the triggers' fault. Triggers are like a lot of other things that make a 'shooter',,,, they need to be repeatable. Same pull weight, same break point, every time. Did anyone mention the Shilen std. trigger or the new Calvin Elite by Timney? That's two more for consideration.
What no mention of trigger tech ? I've had a timney as my only aftermarket trigger and prefer the trigger tech diamond over my Timney Calvin elite